• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is FPP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiesel2006

Sorry for the newb question, but what exactly is FPP? I understand that it stands for face panel programmable, but what exactly does it let you do? Input frequences via keypad?

Pimpala03

Front Panel Programmable. You can program frequencies and PLs but not too much more from the front keypad.

Basically, it's field programmable.

ddiesel2006

Pimpala03 said:
Front Panel Programmable. You can program frequencies and PLs but not too much more from the front keypad.

Basically, it's field programmable.

Nice. Thats about what I thought. I'd assume it'd have to be a M3 (for XTS5000's)? Do all M3's have this option, or is it in the flashcode like digital operation? How much do these usually cost over "regular" M3's?

mancow

Database Admin
It's a flash option so not all have it.

Those that do usually cost more.

You can program freq, pl, dcs, nac, bandwidth, scan, and label from the keypad.

It's very handy.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
There are a number of Thales/Racal P25 portables that are becoming available on eBay. They are front panel programmable and are a lot less expensive than the Motorola radios. They seem to have an overall good reputation. I have seen one in operation and it is pretty easy to program in the field. On the downside getting parts may be an issue. They are an option to consider though if you're looking for FPP. VHF only though.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Plus the JT1000 are still out there on the used market. Not sure if people are still asking $400 like they used to, but all JT1000s can do FPP (hence the only reason for the JT version to be built).

If it's for the ham bands, I have heard some people actually use <gasp> a ham radio to get FPP functions :cool:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Can an XTS5000 be flashed to have FPP?

What does it take and what would that cost?

Thanks

Yes it can and the firmware refesh and the FPP feature should be under $200.

Typicially you need to be the original owner of the radio with all of the tags intact.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Nice. Thats about what I thought. I'd assume it'd have to be a M3 (for XTS5000's)? Do all M3's have this option, or is it in the flashcode like digital operation? How much do these usually cost over "regular" M3's?

I saw someone that had a model II with FPP and while it was a pain to program it using the center navigation it was doable.

FPP is available in the XTS2500's and XTS5000's but it is an extra option just like APCO25 and other features. I'm waiting for them to come out with an XTL mobile compliment using the DTMF keypad...lol

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I saw someone that had a model II with FPP and while it was a pain to program it using the center navigation it was doable.

FPP is available in the XTS2500's and XTS5000's but it is an extra option just like APCO25 and other features. I'm waiting for them to come out with an XTL mobile compliment using the DTMF keypad...lol

I have never heard of a MII with FPP... I do love my MIII though.

mancow

Database Admin
The Thales 25 / Racal 25 products are unique. They are solid milled aluminum. Battery life is fair ~ 8 hrs or so. Audio is a bit weak since they use the same mylar speakers like the 396 and VX-7r. RF performance seems good such as sensitivity and selectivity. Performance is greatly enhanced with the use of a Motorola wideband Vhf antenna. They have no signalling and there is quite a bit of squelch tail. The display is incredible and almost all features are FPP accessable. Keyloading can be done via SOFTWARE! No ridiculous $1500.00 KVL-3000 needed. Software and firmware is freely downloadable from the Thales site with the establishment of a free account. Chargers (cube type) are upgradable with free firmware and they have built in DB9 serial cables with no rib needed. Radios don't use ribs either. Thales splurged for the $.99 RS232 chip and put it IN the radio. Cube chargers can be powered from a supplied 110v cable or 12v from the car. They use XTS belt clips. The radio is about 1/2 thick and very light weight. Radio is submersible (yea no R model needed, they are all R models) and built like a piece of field artillery.

Strange thing... the radios are shoved 1/4 full of some odd fiberglass insulation stuff. It's an enigma like the gold lube on a new Glock.

Bad part, batteries are around $125 a piece new from Thales.

Not having to shell out several hundred dollars to Moto M for crappy software or making back room deals with someone you never met and have no idea where they are to flash upgrade a unit to Fed Govt. FPP............. Priceless.

There are a number of Thales/Racal P25 portables that are becoming available on eBay. They are front panel programmable and are a lot less expensive than the Motorola radios. They seem to have an overall good reputation. I have seen one in operation and it is pretty easy to program in the field. On the downside getting parts may be an issue. They are an option to consider though if you're looking for FPP. VHF only though.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I called Thales and inquired about some parts (keypads, external parts, etc...). A few days later I came to work to find a large envelope full of parts and a letter hand signed from one of the reps hoping that I enjoy my "sample" parts and thanking me for my inquiry.

Not a dime spent on my end.

If you catch them on a good day they will treat you like gold.

If watch the news closely it seems every other person deployed is carrying an AN/PRC-148 MBITR. At damn near $10,000 a pop I guess they have reason to be happy people.

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have never heard of a MII with FPP... I do love my MIII though.

Its a flashcode feature and not model dependent, but a Model I having it is pretty much useless...lol I have a VHF Model III with it and love the feature as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.