What is the best base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmccallen

I recently purchased a Uniden BCD996T scanner and want to install a base antenna. I am looking for an antenna that will receive a wide range of frequencies. Another question, how high up does the antenna need to be. I would like to mount it on my roof without too high a pole.

radiopro52

It's hard to give the "best" antenna, because antenna performance will vary from person to person depending on several factors. Like how high the antenna will be, how far away your stations of interest are, what bands you're interested in, what coax you use, ect. As a general guideline, the higher the antenna is, the better it will perform.

For general all band antennas, the most popular ones are the Radio Shack 20-176 and the scantenna.

I've had the 20-176 and it's a very good performer. It doesn't pick up very far in 800 Mhz, but it does pretty well in other bands. I've never had the scantenna, but people who do have it report great performance as well.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
"What is the best base antenna?"

Well, What is the best car?
Just about the same kind of questions

I guess if you wanted something nice then the Scantenna
You would probably want to put it up as high as it could see the horizon, over the top of the trees to get best receive coverage

rmccallen

Advice

Thanks to all for your advice, I purchased a Diamond D-130J and am going to install this on my roof with a 12ft pole today. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Once again thanks

Roger

scanaholic

I'm the one stuck in an apartment and posted on another thread about an antenna in a room away from the TVI.

How big is this Scantenna, and I wonder if it would be good indoors also? Oh me, I found the measurements and I think 120" would be too big for a back bedroom!

Thanks-

Last edited:
I have the RS 20-176 scanner antenna mounted on a mast on the side of my house and I've found it to be a decent performer, I was certainly surprised at how well it performed for it's size. Definitely worth the $25.

Whatever you do stay away from the RS 20-043 discone antenna, it's a complete piece of junk. Mine's currently held together with zip ties and many parts have broken off, I don't even use it anymore. (What can I say? I was a complete noob, I didn't know about the Diamond D-130J, the Scantenna, or this forum at the time. I worked at an RS store then and was just getting into scanning for the first time.)

RADIOGUY2002

i HAVE A TWO PART QUESTION

A gentlemen and me are putting up an antenna on a mast at the tip at 33 ft for a repeater at 50 watts with lmr-400 cable run and I was planing on putting up a scanner antena as well. Proably scantenna, my question is how much seperation is need on the mast. between the two?

Or should I put it on another mast install ?

KC0QNB

A gentlemen and me are putting up an antenna on a mast at the tip at 33 ft for a repeater at 50 watts with lmr-400 cable run and I was planing on putting up a scanner antenna as well. Proably scantenna, my question is how much seperation is need on the mast. between the two?

Or should I put it on another mast install ?
it depends on the frequency of the transmitter 100 feet minimum vertical separation, or the scanner will de-sense whenever the repeater is transmitting. Here is a link

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

Best scanner antena with repeater?

Even for handheld stock antena, just threw that for a hypthical?

But how far horiz as opposed to vertical?

Repeater is 50 watts full with an antena with approx 7 db gain 152 is the tx frquency.

KC0QNB

Will I know that 5 feet vertical + 4 feet horizontal is not enough, that is my situation now, running 5 watts on VHF, I will do some more looking for good info, you are welcome to help, and "share the wealth".

Status
Not open for further replies.