• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Is The Best Coax For A GMRS Base Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Did you put down a layer of electrical tape first under the tar stuff like mmckenna mentioned, like Scotch 33+? You must do this then follow up with a top layer of approved tape for the outer covering and the connection will outlive you. There is a reason for all these layers, it simply works and if you didn't do it all then it doesn't work and moisture will get in. And it will be messy getting to the now corroded connector in the future.

On waterproofing connectors: I once used that tar-like tape, wrapped it around a good length and thoroughly smoothed it out with my fingers. After a few years when I had the need to remove the connector I found out it had gotten a lot more corroded than unprotected connectors--as though the tape inhibited the escape of moisture (condensation). Hopefully there's a better way out there somewhere than that tarry tape...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On waterproofing connectors: I once used that tar-like tape, wrapped it around a good length and thoroughly smoothed it out with my fingers. After a few years when I had the need to remove the connector I found out it had gotten a lot more corroded than unprotected connectors--as though the tape inhibited the escape of moisture (condensation). Hopefully there's a better way out there somewhere than that tarry tape...

Yeah, that's not the proper procedure. Cellular and LMR installers have been using this method for decades now, and if it's done correctly, as I listed out above, corrosion is not an issue.

Unfortunately the amateur radio community often won't put the effort or research in to doing the waterproofing correctly, and run into the exact sort of issues you experienced.

I've heard everything from "Don't seal it and that'll let any water drain out naturally" to "A wrap of electrical tape is good enough". Those approaches are fine if it's a hobby and reliability doesn't matter. ("When all else fails"?)

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I have had great results with 50 feet of Times Microwave LMR-400 cable into a Comet CA-712EFC antenna. My LMR-400 cable goes directly into a Diamond SX-400 SWR/Power meter with a small jumper to my GMRS radio. My SWR on high power approx. 46 watts is 1.1 - 1.2 across the GMRS band. I used a Company called the Antenna Farm. No complaints.

WB9YBM

Did you put down a layer of electrical tape first under the tar stuff like mmckenna mentioned, like Scotch 33+? You must do this then follow up with a top layer of approved tape for the outer covering and the connection will outlive you. There is a reason for all these layers, it simply works and if you didn't do it all then it doesn't work and moisture will get in. And it will be messy getting to the now corroded connector in the future.

I don't weatherproof; even after fifteen years, my connections have been corrosion free. (I guess I must be doing something right--or just got lucky.)

Status
Not open for further replies.