What is the best Digital Scanner for LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock00

I'm interested in buying a digital scanner and was wondering what would people recommend and why? I had a Uniden BCD 396T a few years ago and it had poor reception or digital decode of the LAPD. It may have been due to the antenna used and/or older firmware... I had that scanner 4 years ago and never upgraded the firm ware so it may have been the problem.

Eng74

I have used the Pro-96/2096, GRE PSR500/600, BCD 396T, BCD996T, and now the 996XT. The all have work good for LAPD for me when I am in the L.A. area. The only real plus side I give the GRE PSR 500/600 in function is their multi site trunking. I like that you just put in all the sites and it will go to the one that it needs. I know LAPD is not trunked but the ICIS system is and you don't have to press any buttons to turn on or off a site. The size of the 396XT is nice. Go try them out at HRO in Burbank or Anaheim and see which you like better also tryout the PRO-106 at a Radio Shack. It is the same as the GRE PSR 500 just a different layout. You don't have to buy at HRO but you can hear, touch, and feel the radio before you buy.

oracavon

I recently got a 996XT, and I'm getting good reception of most LA stations (both analog and digital, including most LAPD stations) with a base antenna (outdoor type) in my attic in central OC (we're not allowed to have outside antennas here). The only ones I have weak reception on are ones in far north and far west LA, due to distance and possibly terrain. I'm pretty sure that they would also be strong if I could put the antenna outside, considering how well I'm getting most things now.

I've read that there is a difference in the sound of the digital audio between Uniden and other makes, so I would also recommend listening to them before buying to see which you prefer. This is my first digital scanner, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I don't have any difficulty understanding the digital audio. It is noticeably different in character than analog audio, though.

spock00

I have used the Pro-96/2096, GRE PSR500/600, BCD 396T, BCD996T, and now the 996XT. The all have work good for LAPD for me when I am in the L.A. area. The only real plus side I give the GRE PSR 500/600 in function is their multi site trunking. I like that you just put in all the sites and it will go to the one that it needs. I know LAPD is not trunked but the ICIS system is and you don't have to press any buttons to turn on or off a site. The size of the 396XT is nice. Go try them out at HRO in Burbank or Anaheim and see which you like better also tryout the PRO-106 at a Radio Shack. It is the same as the GRE PSR 500 just a different layout. You don't have to buy at HRO but you can hear, touch, and feel the radio before you buy.

I am leaning toward getting the 396XT because it seems like an improved version of the 396T and has the rich features I want. I tested one out at the local HRO and it worked well, much better than my 396T at decoding and the audio was very pleasant audio.

spock00

Update

Well I wasn't sure because I have no experience with the GRE 500 and heard that it decoded digital better than the 396xt.
With that being said I will go with the 396xt.

I now have the radio and it is much improved over the old Uniden 396T. I am very pleased with it.
I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.