What is the best handheld scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkuz

I am new to the to scanners. I work for a resteration company and liste to my scanner for fires and other emergencys how ever I would like to know what is the best hand held and main scanner and antenna that I can buy???? PLEASE HELP

kskarma

My "BEST" answer to your "BEST" question....

I think before you can get any answers that might help YOU out, it would be good to know a few things...

1. Do you have an unlimited budget?? Bear in mind that a 'complete package' could run to $800 or so if all the options are included. On the other hand, if you might only need 4-8 channels for a rural location, probably a $40 investment would get all you might need....see #2. below....

2. What is your location and what frequencies and protocol are being used there now...or in the future?

3. Do you need an 'out of the box' solution...or are you tekkie enough to want to do your own programming, data entry, etc.

4. Are there any restrictions, covenants, regs. that would be a problem? This mostly applies to the antenna, however mobile usage in some places is also regulated...

5. You mention that you are new to scanning...so...are you willing...or eager...to spend a considerable amount of time learning all of the features and options that come along with the current scanners??

Just askin'.....you will get a better and more closely matched range of responses if you give the board a better idea of YOUR situation.

Good luck...happy scanning...etc..!

N8IAA

I'm guessing that he is a fire chaser for the restoration company. They chase down fires and try to get business for their company. My suggestion, since you live in Ohio, is to get either the 396XT, or, the RS Pro-106. This way, you can monitor conventional frequencies, analog trunked systems, as well as, digital systems.
Larry

mciupa

Database Admin
Read Richard Carlson's excellent review on the ScannerMaster website here is an excerpt:

The GRE is better if these are most important to you:

* Better digital decoding, especially on simulcast systems.

* You prefer a larger radio with better audio.

* If you prefer separate volume and squelch controls.

* If you don’t want or need the extra features of the BCD396XT

* If you are not bothered by excessive strong-signal interference.

* If you need higher sensitivity.

* You like to have Virtual Scanners available to you.

You will want the BCD396XT if these are more important:

* You prefer a smaller, compact radio.

* You prefer a more solidly built radio.

* You prefer a simpler but more detailed display.

* If you want the amazing feature-set of the BCD396XT

* You prefer the Banks/Systems/Groups method of programming.

* You need or want the GPS features.

* You will use the radio in a high interference area.

* You want to have a lot of channels available all the time.

* When fire tone-out capability is important.

* You monitor a large networked system with multiple sites.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If you want an analog scanner, get this one.

If you want a digital scanner, get this one.

Note that typically, the antenna being used will affect signal reception more than the scanner itself. So don't overlook have the best antenna for your best scanner.

Nightshade

I am new to the to scanners. I work for a resteration company and liste to my scanner for fires and other emergencys how ever I would like to know what is the best hand held and main scanner and antenna that I can buy???? PLEASE HELP

I just bought my first scanner. I thought it best to find out what type of frequencies were being used in my local area so I could get the right kind of scanner and not waste money.

I found all my counties freq. info here on this great site. Just type in search block the counties and state that you want the freq info for then buy the scanner that receives those freq's.

example........
Marshall County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.