What is the best NMO mount antenna for 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am installing 3 796D scanners and a Motorola 800 Astro Spectra in my SUV. I will be drilling 4 3/4" holes in the roof to install 4 NMO mounts Lojack style.

What is the absolute BEST NMO mount 800MHZ antenna for RX? I have a bunch of motorola pigtail antennas, but reception is very spotty with my Unidens.......works fine with the Motorola.

I am going to be monitoring San Diego County and city, and currently I am using a Moto 800MHZX on a magnet mount, and San Diego City's 800 system barely receives on my 796D, but my handheld scanner picks up a lot better....ugh.

Thanks for helping :)

Paul Anderegg

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well I like the Larsen brand of antennas and mounts.Their built strong and sturdy.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I like the Antennex/Laird mounts. The Larsens are good quality also.

For the 3 scanners I would use one antenna with an active stridesburg multicoupler. I had the same issues with the NJSP system where my Motorola (mcs2000) could hear everything and my 796D scanners were spotty at best. The stridesburg active multicoupler improved things noticably. I used the wide band multicoupler because I monitor VHF/UHF stuff also but there is a specific 800MHz model that is very effective. Yeah the stridsburg multicouplers are expensive but they are worth the expense IMO. Plus you have 2 less holes to drill in the roof.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I used to have their multi coupler for Los Angeles for mainly 150-500MHZ.

MCA804

Their 800 looks great, in fact, it has four outputs so I can even use it now with my mag mount prior to installing my console.

Since I already have a Moto 800 ant, I will get me a Larsen to test with.

thanks guys!

Paul

BillyFred

On the roof of an SUV you may want to think about something spring loaded. The little moto antennas will bend, the one pictured not so much!

The Stridesberg stuff is top notch. I'm running a 4 port active now and will go to an 8 port in the next build.

The transit antennas are basically a dummy load! They work well as a rugged antenna within the system coverage but that's about all.

Don't forget that silicone grease on the threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.