What is the best police digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubir

Please help me to choose digital police scanner. HP2 or BCD436HP or other digital scanner?
Thanks!!

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
cant go wrong with the BCD436HP brother. awesome scanner. it all depends on what you plan to use the scanner for, however.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Motorola....

Just sayin....

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
BCD996P2

get you a BCD996P2. this is the scanner I am getting next. I know uniden makes an upgraded model, but I love this one. check it out. you can't go wrong with it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Best scanner

Everybody has opinions. I have both Uniden and GRE (Whistler). For the simulcast system where I live, the GRE does best. For almost flawless reception, my EF Johnson 5100 is in another league compared to a "hobby grade" scanner.

Drafin

It's really a Coke vs. Pepsi argument if you do not provide details about location or what you want to listen to. There is no correct , single answer to, "What is the best police digital scanner?".

It depends on many things, not limited to, antenna, location, base or mobile, simulcast, and MANY other factors.

My advice is do some leg work yourself and read the forum for your area, Uniden, and Whistler, then make an informed purchase.

Draf

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The best answer is to find users near you and compare both. I own GRE built, Whistler built, and Uniden built I still own and use all scanners listed in my signature line. With that said my go to scanner is my BCD436HP I can load a large statewide system and edit control channels in the field on the fly. My GRE and Whistler built scanners do not allow that. If I find a channel in the field I can add it to the BCD436HP I can not add it to to the GRE/Whistler built scanners I own (PRO-18 PRO-668) I have to keep my trusty laptop with me just to add new finds in the field.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
...For almost flawless reception, my EF Johnson 5100 is in another league compared to a "hobby grade" scanner.

I will buy one if/when someone provides instructions on how to use it in P25 Trunked mode with site roaming, and WITHOUT affiliation (I know, a pipe dream...)

kc2kth

I haven't used my 436 much since I bought my HP2, mainly because the display is so nice on the HP2. I use mine next to me on a coffee table most of the time so readability makes a big difference. I've considered adding a Whistler to the mix but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I also have a PRO-106 and a PRO-197. I have both of those set mostly for air monitoring now that I've have the 436 and HP2. I could continue because I have others with specific tasks they are used for, but suffice to say the 436 and HP2 are nice radios and work well in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.