What is the best radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first thread in this great forum. I need your help guys. I have no idea about radios, and now I am highly interested to buy one. What is the best radio that makes me listen to stations from allover the world taking into consideration that I live in the Middle east, Yemen. I prefer the manually radios rather than the digital. I have no idea what LW MW SW do mean, but any way I wann listen to stations from everywhere.
What do you think of Sony ICF-EX5MK2?

thanks in advance

SCPD

QRT
I would read this to get started into shortwave radio: Shortwave radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will NOT learn everything in a few days or weeks. It will take years. So -- be patient.

I strongly recommend getting a radio with a digital display.

Consider the Sangean ATS-909x or the Sony 7600GR shortwave portables:

Sangean:
Sangean ATS-909X Portable Shortwave Radio ATS909X

Sony:
Sony ICF-SW7600GR Shortwave Radio, Sony icfsw7600gr

The radio you suggested appears to be a Japan-specific model so I wouldn't get that one.

PS. If you have access to YouTube -- you can go there to watch videos of these radios: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

gcgrotz

I have a Sony 7600 that I have carried all over the world. I works well on shortwave and on regular AM broadcast is surprisingly good too. It also has regular FM broadcast for your local stations. It is a good deal for the money.

If you want something a little better then get an ICOM R-75. It is very popular and is a very good high quality communications receiver. Also, most Ham Radio tramsceivers have general shortwave coverage too. I know there are not many Hams in Yemen so good luck, and be careful.

Of course, you could also spend thousands (US dollars) for a professional grade receiver.

Thanks both for your replys. I prefer Sony products yet they are expensive. Where can I get used ones with good prices.

One thing more, what do u think of Tescun pl-380?
Is it good radio?

SCPD

QRT
The Tecsun PL-380 looks to be a decent radio but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Remember that the Tecsun only supports AM mode. This means you'll be able to listen to shortwave broadcast stations only.

If you want to listen to SSB stations (military, aero, marine) then you'll need a radio with SSB capability, such as the Sangean or Sony that I mentioned.

If you just want to get started in Shortwave radio then that Tecsun should be good for a starter radio.

Good luck.

The Tecsun PL-380 looks to be a decent radio but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Remember that the Tecsun only supports AM mode. This means you'll be able to listen to shortwave broadcast stations only.

If you want to listen to SSB stations (military, aero, marine) then you'll need a radio with SSB capability, such as the Sangean or Sony that I mentioned.

If you just want to get started in Shortwave radio then that Tecsun should be good for a starter radio.

Good luck.

Actually, the Tecsun PL-660 does in fact include SSB mode as well as Sync. I have owned mine for a bit over a year and couldnt be happier with it. At the price it is currently offered for on ebay and amazon, it is an excellent "first" receiver to get one's feet wet in this wonderful hobby.

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks both for your replys. I prefer Sony products yet they are expensive. Where can I get used ones with good prices?

Dunno about used, but nearby you have one of the world's largest electronics houses. Jacky's Electronics is based in the UAE. When I was writing for Radio Netherlands' Media Network, it was the best, almost only, source of decent SW auto radios for replacement of the usual AM/FM unit. Jackys Electronics I haven't kept up with the current situation; check it out for yourself... hope this helps.

KC2TEX

Actually, the Tecsun PL-660 does in fact include SSB mode as well as Sync. I have owned mine for a bit over a year and couldnt be happier with it. At the price it is currently offered for on ebay and amazon, it is an excellent "first" receiver to get one's feet wet in this wonderful hobby.

A big +1 on the Tecsun PL-660!

riverrat373

What is your budget? Do you want a portable or a table top? I personally lean towards the table tops because I do most of my dx'ing from my home. If you can afford it, the Icom R-75 is a fantastic receiver (I own one) Although I have never used one, the new Alinco DX-R8T is getting some pretty good reviews. If you cannot afford new, look at a used Kenwood R-1000, Kenwood R-2000 or the venerable Yaesu FRG-7 (analog readout to about 2 1/2 khz. These are all radios that I personally own and can vouch for their quality.

If you are looking for a portable, the Sangean ATS-909 is a great radio for very little money. (I own one of those too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.