What is the Best Scanner to buy for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

The down side is the streaming is on a slight delay and if something serious happens they cut the feed for legal and safety concerns.
There is no induced delay. Any delay is just network traffic, etc. I was eating across the street from an event and there was hardly any delay.

paulmohr

Oh, I was under the impression they intentionally added a delay to the feeds. Never mattered to me because what I listen to on the feeds is 2000 miles away. I would be just as happy to listen to recordings lol. Now for my local stuff I want it to be real time obviously.

Bob1955

Hello, new to the forum. I had a scanner as a kid, and want to get back into it. I am a Ham so I'm not a total rookie but I just haven't used a scanner in a while and mine is old and tired.

Looking for advice on purchasing a home based (not portable) scanner. I don't mind spending some money but I don't want to overbuy for my needs either. So scanner nation, what is the best scanner on the market for the money? Thanks for your help.

Pete
I'll agree with Doctordialtone, ALL you need is a Bearcat BCD-996P2 and they are around $335.00 on Amazon or also Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland. Unless your area has P.25 simulcasting, there is NO need to spend $699.95 for the TOP of line Bearcat SD-200. There "Has" been reported issue with this scanner like hum, poor VHF/UHF performance. The above base scanner has ZERO problems and NO SD card either. DON'T OVER-BUY!
Hope this helps you out. You can private message me anytime.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Bob its true you should not buy more than you need but I have 2 SDS100's and 1 SDS200 that hear just as good ANALOG on a shared antenna system as my UNIDEN 15x's UNIDEN 436 UNIDEN 325p2's UNIDEN 996p2's UNIDEN 536's so you are spreading hear say as you have never bought owned or used a SDSx00 scanner.

kc2kth

Everyone has already commented on the top 3 from the linked list, but no one has mentioned number 4 - the HomePatrol 2. It's not as full featured as the top 3, but it's not missing anything important and has a simple user interface. I think it's a solid choice for a new/returning scanning hobbyist.

scanmanmi

The down side is the streaming is on a slight delay and if something serious happens they cut the feed for legal and safety concerns.
Please stop saying this. I have previously referred you to information stating that there is absolutely no delay other than network latency and they do not "cut" feeds.

Kaleier1

I like the sound of that, it sounds easy. I like easy!
It's a bad way to go. You would think if you are scanning so many frequencies that you would be constantly hearing stuff but the opposite is true. We have scanners because there is not constant activity on frequencies so the scanner looks for activity. When you do zip code scanning the scanner is spending so much time scanning so many frequencies that it misses transmissions on frequencies that become active.

So you then have to set service types to not scan things you aren't interested and set location so it isn't scanning things too far away to hear. BY then you may as well just create favorites lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.