What is the bottom line TODAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
.....I personally wouldn't invest into another scanner.

"Personally" is the operative word! There are so many variables in this hobby that can affect one's enjoyment, it's impossible to get a consensus. So, if the OP is looking for agreement from the rest of us, good luck! :) Scanning is a bit like eating. You can't survive on eating only one type of food. Your best bet is to broaden your listening interests as best you can, and not rely on one type or another.

NeedtoKnow2

If sensitive public safety comms are being encrypted, that represents what % of the total channels in a given area? It would seem to me (not yet being immersed in this hobby) that there are radio communications from dozens of other organizations, both public and private, that are NOT encrypted. Would they be "entertaining?" Listening to garbage truck or school bus communications may not be.

On the other hand, if you have a more noble purpose for listening, beyond "entertainment", such as awareness of situations to assist you during a disaster, then these non-encrypted communications could be beneficial and helpful to you. They would tell you what services are operational, what parts of town are inaccessible, and dozens of other tidbits of info that define the extent of a situation or danger.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Scanning is like panning for gold. Most of the time what you hear is useless. But when you hear something useful, it can be VERY useful. Knowing a certain section of road is blocked in time to detour, or that there have been multiple accidents on a particular bridge due to icing, can be extremely handy.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've monitored public safety for over 50 years! As technology progressed so has my listening methods,capabilities, and expenses. It was money well spent, and provided countless hours of listening pleasure and excitement. Long gone are the days when you'd plug in a handful of crystals and you're good to go. I've owned just about every brand and model of scanner radios made.

For the most part, encryption is not being used for general public safety communications where I live. However, the amount of detail, or information you can glean is less and less. Data terminals and smart phones are being used to discuss sensitive information. What's left is often very vague and boring. Typically you'll hear the initial dispatch, an officer responding, then nothing. You're left wondering what's happening, or how things turned out.

Recently I decided to play around with analog scanners and see what's out there. It's interesting what pops up now and then. Police often use older analog radios left over from the FD, administration, for undercover and detective work. Things can get interesting, but you have to be patient. Business band radios, ham radio, marine radios, and even FRS/GMRS are being used for things you wouldn't believe! I live in Michigan not too far from the USA/Canadian border. I sometimes park by the water hoping to pick up on some illegal activity or covert ops.

My latest venture is revisiting past efforts to monitor the air bands, both private/commercial as well as military. I'm only about ten miles from Selfridge ANGB, and monitor both VHF/UHF communications in and out. It's pretty routine, but it gives me another feel for what's going on around me. It's a more relaxing background sound then the music on the radio these days. Give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.