Freescan: What is the correct system selection in Freescan for monitoring a P25 Phase ll system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginky4

I am using Freescan to program my BCD325P2. The system I want to monitor is a P25 Phase ll.

In the Freescan software, what type of system do I select for this? Is it Mot Type ll / P25 , P25 Standard (Digital XT), or P25 One Freq Trunk (Digital XT) ? Not sure what the correct system is for monitoring a P25 Phase ll. Please advise.

Not sure what the correct system is for monitoring a P25 Phase ll
I just went through this today.

Our system is converting, but for now it's mostly Phase 1.

I had to use P25 Standard (Digital XT) to make it work,

In your case, I would try Mot Type ll / P25 1st, then if that doesn't work, P25 Standard.

I have a 325P2 and 996XT

ginky4

The system selection is confusing in the Freescan Software. I wish the software would say P25 Phase ll for one of the selections. I am not sure if Mot Type ll / P25 is the same as P25 Phase ll.

I normally monitor a Phase 1 system. That selection says P25 Standard (Digital XT) in the Freescan software.

I am going on vacation to an area where it is Phase ll /P25. Trying to get my scanner programmed correctly before I leave.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The system selection is confusing in the Freescan Software. I wish the software would say P25 Phase ll for one of the selections. I am not sure if Mot Type ll / P25 is the same as P25 Phase ll.

I normally monitor a Phase 1 system. That selection says P25 Standard (Digital XT) in the Freescan software.

I am going on vacation to an area where it is Phase ll /P25. Trying to get my scanner programmed correctly before I leave.
Use P25 Standard (Digital XT) regardless of whether it is Phase I or Phase II. I use that on my 325P2, and have several Phase I, and also Phase II, systems in my metro area.

ginky4

After doing a little research I believe hiegtx is correct. I think Mot Type ll / P25 is not the same as P25 /Phase ll. I am going to set my system up in the Freescan software as P25 Standard (Digital XT).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After doing a little research I believe hiegtx is correct. I think Mot Type ll / P25 is not the same as P25 /Phase ll. I am going to set my system up in the Freescan software as P25 Standard (Digital XT).
Mot Type ll / P25 was the type you had to use for the original 396T series. With the XT series (396XT, and now 325P2), the P25 Standard type became the correct type to use. As I noted, I have several systems of each type in my area, and use that system type for both the Phase I & Phase II systems.

ginky4

How does the scanner differentiate between a P25 Phase 1 system and a P25 Phase 2 system.

My scan lists and setup in Freescan for Phase 1 look just like my scan lists and setups for my Phase 2 system.

Just wondering what happened different or better in the Phase 2 P25 systems.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How does the scanner differentiate between a P25 Phase 1 system and a P25 Phase 2 system.

My scan lists and setup in Freescan for Phase 1 look just like my scan lists and setups for my Phase 2 system.

Just wondering what happened different or better in the Phase 2 P25 systems.
Programming is exactly the same for both P25 Phase I & Phase II. No differences in system type, talkgroup structure, or the way site frequencies are entered. If you program a system while it is Phase I, and later they shift to Phase II, using the same frequencies & talkgroup IDs, you would not have to change your programming at all.

A voice channel on a Phase II system can handle two conversations at the same time, whereas on a Phase I system, only one can be used at a time on each voice channel.

ginky4

Thanks for the clearing that up. How do you like the decoding on your 325P2? Do you still get the garbled air traffic with that scanner? Wondering how it compares to the 396XT that I currently have.

Granny54

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what the TGID should be for a MOT TYPE ll /P25 on a BCD996P2 FROM THIS:

Attachments

• MOSWIN.PNG
    MOSWIN.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 31

Granny54

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused. I have to enter a TGID in MOT TYPE ll / P25 but I don't know where to find the correct TGID to enter into the Group TGID column.

TGID is the Trunk Group ID, a group of the same radio use.

MOT TYPE ll / P25 is the type of radio system (equipment)

They are totally different and get entered on different TABS

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Can someone tell me what the TGID should be for a MOT TYPE ll /P25 on a BCD996P2 FROM THIS:
For starters, you have the wrong system type selected in FreeSCAN. MOSWIN is a P25 Phase II system, and therefore needs to be entered into FreeSCAN as a P25 Standard (Digital XT) system type.

Granny54

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.