What is the frequency for portage county talkaround?

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
I am listening to twinsburg fd talk to aurora fd on their talkgroup and they told them to go to portage county talkaround but its not listed in rr database what frequency are they on or tg?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am listening to twinsburg fd talk to aurora fd on their talkgroup and they told them to go to portage county talkaround but its not listed in rr database what frequency are they on or tg?

Talkaround is usually a simplex version of the frequencies input to the repeater. If you are close enough (meaning a mile or so) you might be able to monitor.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
It could be one of the old VHF analog channels that aren't part of MARCS, but are likely still programmed into their radios.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
I just took a peek at the RR page and see that the bulk of fire related TG's start at 40542 and end at 40558. They very well could have a "talkaround channel" that's actually one of the missing TG's within that range.

You may want to add the missing ones to your favorites list and have the scanner play an alert tone. That's how I managed to get more than a half dozen new TG's for my county added to the DB over the years.

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber

Probably one the MARCS talkagrounds, TA-1, TA-2, or TA-3. Unless you're close by, you probably won't hear the traffic.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Portage County Sheriff has a license for several 700MHz frequencies. They're all simplex, mobile only--no repeaters or base stations. See below:

The frequencies on the license are:

Based on the emission designators they could be used in analog or P25 mode.

The "portage county talkaround" channel could easily be one of these. In fact, I think that is the most likely explanation of those offered so far. Unfortunately it will take some difficulty to confirm this as you will need to be mighty close to the scene to hear anything. 2 watts on 700MHz from a portable radio at ground level isn't going to carry too much farther than you could yell.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
Portage County Sheriff has a license for several 700MHz frequencies. They're all simplex, mobile only--no repeaters or base stations. See below:

The frequencies on the license are:

Based on the emission designators they could be used in analog or P25 mode.

The "portage county talkaround" channel could easily be one of these. In fact, I think that is the most likely explanation of those offered so far. Unfortunately it will take some difficulty to confirm this as you will need to be mighty close to the scene to hear anything. 2 watts on 700MHz from a portable radio at ground level isn't going to carry too much farther than you could yell.

Are these vehicle repeater frequencies?

16b

Premium Subscriber
Are these vehicle repeater frequencies?
Well, that particular license doesn't include any vehicle repeaters (station class would be MO3). They do have a separate license that happens to overlap with one of those 13 frequencies (774.98125) that does have vehicle repeaters on the license. See below:

There's always a chance that they are using the other twelve frequencies on the WQQN985 license for vehicle repeaters as well, even though they're not licensed as such. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

MichaeI

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Aurora FD operates on Geauga County’s “7-talk” channel as their fireground. Yesterday was also the first time I heard the term “Portage County talk around” being used in Aurora. I did tune into 7 talk around yesterday, and did not hear anything, which is not unheard of, but definitely not expected.

I checked what other MARCS talkgroups Engine 1 and the OIC could have operated on, but nothing came up. The incident commander (SRC 6791206) for last night's fire also works in Mantua, where for THEIR fires, they operate on Portage County MTA-1 (mutual aid talk around), also referred to as Channel 16/16 talk around. As of right now, I cannot find this channel anywhere. If anyone has any information about that/how to find it, I'd appreciate it, but I would assume that because of how things are done in Mantua, the incident commander put them on Channel 16, whatever that is.

Hope this helps.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Aurora FD operates on Geauga County’s “7-talk” channel as their fireground. Yesterday was also the first time I heard the term “Portage County talk around” being used in Aurora. I did tune into 7 talk around yesterday, and did not hear anything, which is not unheard of, but definitely not expected.

I checked what other MARCS talkgroups Engine 1 and the OIC could have operated on, but nothing came up. The incident commander (SRC 6791206) for last night's fire also works in Mantua, where for THEIR fires, they operate on Portage County MTA-1 (mutual aid talk around), also referred to as Channel 16/16 talk around. As of right now, I cannot find this channel anywhere. If anyone has any information about that/how to find it, I'd appreciate it, but I would assume that because of how things are done in Mantua, the incident commander put them on Channel 16, whatever that is.

Hope this helps.
Aurora switched from the Geauga 7TA to MARCS MTA-1 for fireground. Aurora was the first community in Portage Co to move to MARCS and it initially appeared that nobody else in Portage Co was interested in making that move. They do a lot with Bainbridge Township and it presented that Geauga 7TA would be the most practical. When the other Portage Co agencies eventually started to move to MARCS, the County template had MTA-1 as the common simplex to use as fireground. Aurora often works with Streetsboro and Mantua and recently chose to switch their fireground (Ch-16) to MTA-1 to be consistent. Yesterday's incident was the first time they used MTA-1 since the recent change.

MARCS MTA-1: 852.1375 NAC-293

6791206 is an Aurora Fire Officer WT. When they bought that group of newer radios, Mantua bought some a little after and that RID, along with two others, were duplicated in the Mantua FD radios. Somebody at MARCS didn't get an updated list in time. It is not the same person. This was recently discovered and should be corrected in the near future.

Last edited:

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
6791206 is an Aurora Fire Officer WT. When they bought that group of newer radios, Mantua bought some a little after and that RID, along with two others, were duplicated in the Mantua FD radios. Somebody at MARCS didn't get an updated list in time. It is not the same person. This was recently discovered and should be corrected in the near future.

Consequence of not having a real ID Mapping plan like Lake, Geauga and GCRCN.

Last edited:

MichaeI

Premium Subscriber
Aurora switched from the Geauga 7TA to MARCS MTA-1 for fireground. Aurora was the first community in Portage Co to move to MARCS and it initially appeared that nobody else in Portage Co was interested in making that move. They do a lot with Bainbridge Township and it presented that Geauga 7TA would be the most practical. When the other Portage Co agencies eventually started to move to MARCS, the County template had MTA-1 as the common simplex to use as fireground. Aurora often works with Streetsboro and Mantua and recently chose to switch their fireground (Ch-16) to MTA-1 to be consistent. Yesterday's incident was the first time they used MTA-1 since the recent change.

MARCS MTA-1: 852.1375 NAC-293

Thank you very much for the information. I totally forgot how radio IDs could be duplicated (previously Squad 2 and Car 3 with 6790377) and I apologize for spreading that misinformation. Always nice to find an answer to a mystery, have a nice day.