What is the latest scanner technology and what scanner should I purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciguy222

I want to purchase a scanner under $1000.00 that would allow me to scan a broad range of bands in the event of an emergency event in and around my neighborhood and / or around the Atlanta area. I am looking at the Whistler WS1065 ($243.23 from Amazon) or the Whistler WS1098 ($354.48 from Amazon) or the Uniden BCD536HP ($484.71 from Amazon). My previous scanners did not allow me to scan and receive many of the locally broadcasted frequencies. I have purchased two scanners in the past and I wasn’t happy with either one of them. The scanners were: PRO-2050 VHF/UHF/Air/800MHz 300 Channel Trunk Tracker Home Scanner from Radio Shack, and the other scanner is a Uniden / Bearcat BC95XLT. Even with the supplied antennas I was having problems receiving clear and audible signals for: weather, police, fire, HAM, aircraft, marine and air. Some of the scanned frequencies came in loud and clear and others did not. Maybe the squelch function was poor on these units, or the antenna, or the speaker, or all three. Any recommendations?
Thank you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A scanner is useless without an antenna. Indoor antennas will pick up nearby signals, but will not reliably receive anything from a distance.

The BCD536HP and it's handheld version BCD436HP both have excellent reception and decode the widest variety of digital trunked systems, but to get the most out of them, you need an outdoor antenna mounted on a pole or mast. Radio signals are blocked by hills, trees, and buildings, and if you don't get your antenna above those obstructions, your reception will be poor regardless of the scanner model.

Given that distances and terrain vary between your location and the transmitters you are monitoring, you will always receive sone signals better than others.

sciguy222

Thanks Jonwienke for the information. I've been looking at the BCD536HP and it's capabilities for a while, so it looks like I'm going to buy it. You stated that I need an outside antenna mounted on a mast. Can you provide me with companies that sell outside antennas and masts? Should I contact Uniden directly? Thanks.

seth21w

The ws1098 is a great unit as well, i have both bcd536hp and ws1098 sitting side by side, the whistler has better audio quality, and it includes dmr free. Where the uniden shines is simulcast, you cant go wrong with either unit. The whistler is 100+ cheaper and does equal or better than uniden.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you ever have any possibility of running the scanner in a vehicle, get the Uniden 436 or 536. They can use a GPS to update the scanner's location, and everything in the database is geotagged. The scanner uses its location and a user-configurable Range setting to automatically toggle things on and off so that you are always listening to local traffic as you travel.

Whistler does not have this capability. On a road trip, you have to manually toggle stuff on and off.

lu81fitter

The BCD996P2 picks up just about everything you can listen to, and it costs less than the 536. But the 536 has the database. The 996P2 has to be completely programmed for what you want. If you know what you want to listen to, and have the info to program it, it's the way to go. As stated, your scanner is only as good as your antenna. Good luck and happy scanning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.