What is the purpose of Analyze - System status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

It's only info about how you receive the signal, the strenght, the quality (absent of interference) and activity (how many calls are set up over a time period) and of course the system ID and Site ID if the system transmits those.

In normal scan you see the signal strenght bars and you see the biterror if you do Fn+vol. So that Analyze feature have little use but Uniden added it because they could and adds to the feature list that looks good in advertising. Not all things in a scanner have practical use but are more bells and whistles to be used as a selling point.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I'm pretty sure it also gives you the amount of frequencies that are within the system.
You're probably thinking of some other feature.

Huggorm where asking about the system status function. LCN finder needs you to enter the correct frequencies in the system in your favorite list as it will not otherwise be able to detect LCN or color codes.

I haven't seen anywhere that the scanner are able to tell how many frequencies that are in use. The system doesn't send out that info. It will just check how many have been entered by you in the system and if you have entered more frequencies than the site uses it will never tell you that it is done and have found all LCN's. Enter too few frequencies and it could say that it is done when there in fact are more LCN's in the site that haven't yet been found.

/Ubbe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen anywhere that the scanner are able to tell how many frequencies that are in use. The system doesn't send out that info. It will just check how many have been entered by you in the system and if you have entered more frequencies than the site uses it will never tell you that it is done and have found all LCN's. Enter too few frequencies and it could say that it is done when there in fact are more LCN's in the site that haven't yet been found.

/Ubbe
Using System Status, on DMR systems, leave the scanner 'analyzing' that system's sie. Presuming that you entered all the listed (and/or suspected) frequencies for the site, if you leave it long enough, you will see a count of the frequencies that have been used. That number may change, as more of the frequencies carry traffic.
This also works for NXDN

Attachments

• 1589074608816.png
    1589074608816.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 12

browdr1

Saskie
Premium Subscriber
I may be asking a completely dumb question here. But I have also just figured this feature out. Thinking about using it for my next antenna run and layout. But the S Q A. What is it this is indicating and Why are they fluctuation so much between? Thank you

spacellamaman

if you like sniffing around in unknown territory, or unreported territory you can use it to ID a system that otherwise wouldn't be possible, tho some work arounds exist with other unidens to some degree. 2 examples:

1.a Energy company around where i live has a load of P25 and older MOT systems operating in 900mhz . i don't use the databases generally, and not terribly interested in this system. But say i get a Close Call hit on a ControlChannel. if it shows NAC well that doesn't tell me much. If its a MOT, and shows no NAC even less helpful. but i can make a P25/MOT system with the CC, then analyze it, and come up with the Sys/Site ID etc and look it up later.

2. i recently came across a verrrrry distant control channel on 172.3. eventually was able to get the NAC. no reports of its existance had been reported, and it was in an (presumed) area with average population density that it should have been noticed already by the locals. knowing i was going to be flamed no end without something better than an unverified report of a supposed Control Channel and an NAC, using the Analyze, I was able to get the System ID etc, and report that, and keep the trolls at bay as it was very specific and info that others could verify as well.

also i should say i am speaking as a 436hp owner and not as a 536hp owner but i imagine it should all still be relevant

Ubbe

I was able to get the System ID etc, and report that, and keep the trolls at bay as it was very specific and info that others could verify as well.
It's necessary to have a forum to let others verify your finds as using just a single scanner isn't trustworthy. It could be some sort of mixing product or other phenomen that you receive. A second scanner, from another brand, or even a SDR dongle if it can receive that weak signal, are a good way to double check that it actually are a real frequency you receive. So much better if it is verified on a different antenna system but most people do not have that. Sometimes people report new frequencies when it actually are the input frequency of an already known system.

/Ubbe

spacellamaman

It's necessary to have a forum to let others verify your finds as using just a single scanner isn't trustworthy. It could be some sort of mixing product or other phenomen that you receive. A second scanner, from another brand, or even a SDR dongle if it can receive that weak signal, are a good way to double check that it actually are a real frequency you receive. So much better if it is verified on a different antenna system but most people do not have that. Sometimes people report new frequencies when it actually are the input frequency of an already known system.

/Ubbe

I have found many instances where verification, in accordance with the above standards, and even more, is not accepted, or even investigated. often there is nothing more that can be done at that point. at least with a control channel the having all system/site information to present is generally hard to argue with.

Ubbe

I have found many instances where verification, in accordance with the above standards, and even more, is not accepted, or even investigated.
That will often be the case if you are not a regular contributor. But the frequency admin should at least consider your findings and ask fellow scannerist to confirm. There's usually some enthusiast that will travel a fair bit of distances to try and hunt down that unknown frequency, or debunk you findings after spending a day in your neighbourhood.

/Ubbe

spacellamaman

There's usually some enthusiast that will travel a fair bit of distances to try and hunt down that unknown frequency,

/Ubbe

yeah, i am "that guy". i have never even bothered submitting frequency info to the database admins cause most cases a person can't even get marginal acceptance in discussion in a thread without issues that have usually already been addressed being questioned.

i figure its still worthwhile to make a thread or a post mentioning the info so someone can search the forums and find the info that way along with some context. thats how i have put various pieces together and am much appreciative people have made the posts i came across, oftentimes years later.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
yeah i think i know what your saying. the only workaround i have found is programming it in as a single frequency P25 site. which aint a technique for on the fly success with an unexpected frequency. for sure.
Now I figured out what was missing from that post.
The easiest and probably best way is to use external logging and control software such as ProScan if you are using the 436 were you have a Windows computer available for the needed serial connection.

Logging is also nice as it will keep a record for you so you can go back and see what freqs were used.
Of course control channel monitoring programs like Pro96com or Unitrunker are nice as they will grab the actual data from the control channel datastream. The downside is they both require a method of getting the control channel data into the program. The 436 cannot provide that data unless it's discriminator tapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.