What is the status of rebanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pliquett

Can anyone tell me if or when the Indianapolis area will be rebanded? I'm wanting to buy some more equipment but I don't want it to be useless in a few months or years. Thanks

zerobleu

Hamilton County has begun the process of rebanding... Should be completed by the fall if all goes according to plan. Nothing has changed in the radio's yet, but things should start rolling soon. I have not seen anything w/ new freqs yet, but I know that 11 of our 15 channels need to be relocated.

Viper43

rebanding won't affect the scanning of the Hamilton Co EDACS, your old scanner will still scan that, only Motorola systems will not trunk properly with rebanding.

zerobleu

Viper43 said:
rebanding won't affect the scanning of the Hamilton Co EDACS, your old scanner will still scan that, only Motorola systems will not trunk properly with rebanding.

It will if he's looking at buying a used ma/com radio off of ebay or something like that...

W9NES

You need to buy a Digital scanner like a Uniden Bc 396T handheld or a Uniden Bc 996T and then you will not have to worry about not being able to listen to Hamilton Co.Just my two cents worth.Respectfully Submitted.Timothy A. DeLong Ham Radio Opertor W9NES.

zerobleu

W9NES said:
You need to buy a Digital scanner like a Uniden Bc 396T handheld or a Uniden Bc 996T and then you will not have to worry about not being able to listen to Hamilton Co.Just my two cents worth.Respectfully Submitted.Timothy A. DeLong Ham Radio Opertor W9NES.

Thats a good two cents... Not just for hamilton county but for SAFE-T, and MECA!

SCPD

QRT
MECA has already rebanded for there new Digital system and Safe T is slow to follow Hamilton County as well but it will take a while. ALL of them need to have apps in by June 26th 2008 is the dead line then go from there. So it would not be money waisted to get a scanner or some type of radio that does it or digital.

jerk

pliquett said:
Can anyone tell me if or when the Indianapolis area will be rebanded? I'm wanting to buy some more equipment but I don't want it to be useless in a few months or years. Thanks
Buy the best you can afford, I would recommend digital scanners, but analog might be all you need or want.

Status, who knows, too much trouble getting it done and Nextel who is to pay for all of it is sinking fast profit wise.

Check out the wiki here for an overview.
<http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding>

Last edited:

W9NES

zeroblue,"My door is always open" please feel free to pm me if you need any further infomation and I will be very glad to assist you any way that I can.Best Requards,Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis NW SIDE.

pliquett

Thanks for the update. I bought a PSR-600 about a month ago and love it!! I use ARC500 and programing has never been easier. I would like to buy a PSR-500 or BC396T but have looked at some older models on ebay. I just don't want to buy a PRO-97 and not be able to get the non-digital trunking.

jerk

pliquett said:
Thanks for the update. I bought a PSR-600 about a month ago and love it!! I use ARC500 and programing has never been easier. I would like to buy a PSR-500 or BC396T but have looked at some older models on ebay. I just don't want to buy a PRO-97 and not be able to get the non-digital trunking.
I would get the PSR-500 then, as that will program and act the same as the PSR-600, just in a portable, battery operated edition. Plus it will work with rebanding using tables, plus it has firmware updatability and will continue to work.
Plus the same software program will program both scanners. PSR-500/600

The Uniden 396/996 will also work, but will need a firmware update as it does not have the table options.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
It appears that the former Cass County Sheriff system has been rebanded from 866 to 851 Mhz frequencies.

Don't know if this system is still in use, since Cass uses SAFE-T.

Can anyone confirm whether this system is still active, and if so, with what other users?

introoper

Looking at buying a new scanner as well. PSR or Uniden? I would prefer a portable, but a mobile would be fine. I will be using it in the car with an external atenna, but wanna have the option to bring it inside. I live in NE Indianapolis and would like to monitor Safe-t and MECA.

Where is the best place to buy the new digital scanners? I have bought a couple of scanners from BackDraft Communications, but that was several years ago. Anyone interested in helping me program it once I buy a new one?!?! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

W9NES

I would recomend buying a Uniden Bc 396T.The Uniden 996T is also a great radio as I own (5) of them along with the Uniden Bc 396T.Rick at Backdraft Communications would be a great contact for you to call again.Rick is a fellow Ham Radio Operator and I can speak very highly of him.He is also a professional firefighter and a medic. If you need anything please feel free to pm me."My door is always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong Ham Radio Operator W9NES,

bessiedawg

I just got a PSR-500 this week. So far I like it, but I haven't had a chance to spend alot of time with it yet. Give me about another week, and I can probably contribute some feedback as to how it performs, especially with SAFE-T.

Status
Not open for further replies.