What is this? 143.625 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9zek

I have been hearing alot of traffic on the frequency of 143.625 in the am mode. I am locatde in Gibson County. It is definately some sort of military aircraft. It sounds like training exercises with such phrases as bogey, I have the target, I have a kill shot and other things of this nature. Does anyone have any idea who it is that I am hearing? I have heard no I.D. Any thoughts would be helpful.

jerk

n9zek said:
I have been hearing alot of traffic on the frequency of 143.625 in the am mode. I am locatde in Gibson County. It is definately some sort of military aircraft. It sounds like training exercises with such phrases as bogey, I have the target, I have a kill shot and other things of this nature. Does anyone have any idea who it is that I am hearing? I have heard no I.D. Any thoughts would be helpful.

You are located right next to Red Hills MOA and Red Hills ATCAA, RED HILLS MOA, which is an air-to-air operating area, typically used both day and night.

I would do more scanning in AM mode both VHF and UHF, there is more stuff to be heard.

Also, there is also an Air to Ground training facility called Camp Atterbury, and operations at this range includes daytime air to ground operations.

So you could be hearing training flights at that range also. MOAs consist of airspace of defined vertical and lateral limits established for the purpose of separating certain military training activities from VFR and IFR traffic. Whenever a MOA is being used, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be cleared through a MOA if IFR separation can be provided by ARTCC. Otherwise, nonparticipating IFR and VFR traffic are rerouted'or restricted. The area is controlled by the Indianapolis ARTCC, and extends from 6,000 feet MSL to flight level 18,000.

AL

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
That's and odd choice. 143.625 was the main Russian MIR space station frequency for years.

cristisphoto

newsalan said:
Y

I would do more scanning in AM mode both VHF and UHF, there is more stuff to be heard.

Dont Forget the USB mode and/in the HF range..:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.