What IS this strange beep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSHFAN

Hello gents.Maybe one of you could help me decipher this. Bought a RS PRO-136 on eBay about a month
ago (brand new and love it)! Put in three fresh alkaline batteries,and when I shut it off, it emits a low beep
every 5-7 seconds.Any ideas as to the reason why? Any info is always appreciated!
Thanks,
Rush

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hello gents.Maybe one of you could help me decipher this. Bought a RS PRO-136 on eBay about a month
ago (brand new and love it)! Put in three fresh alkaline batteries,and when I shut it off, it emits a low beep
every 5-7 seconds.Any ideas as to the reason why? Any info is always appreciated!
Thanks,
Rush
Do you also have the included 12 volt power adapter that came with the scanner? From what I read, that scanner is not really intended to run on the batteries alone and will drain them rather quickly. They are mainly there to keep the clock settings and I imagine keeping the WX alert function working when the unit is off and AC power has been lost. I suspect the beeps you are hearing are from a low battery condition and the beep is letting you know that if you do not get new power soon that it will go dead and loose the ability to alert you of severe weather.
From the manual, it also looks like you should get some type of low battery symbol in the LCD display while the scanner is powered on if the batteries are nearly dead. Do you see a blinking battery symbol when you turn it on now?
If you do have the AC adapter then it is possible it is not working. To test, remove the batteries completely and then plug only the power adapter in, if the scanner powers up, then the adapter is working. Either way, it looks like you need both, the power adapter and batteries for that model to operate correctly.
The manual I found online shows you need a adapter with a 12 volt DC 400 mA current rating power adapter with the tip being positive. It does not say what size tip is needed however.
RadioShack should sell a suitable power adapter that will come with one free tip. If you need one then take the whole radio in and they can match it with the correct tip and adapter. I'm not sure they sell a 400 mA adapter at 12 volts DC but one with a slightly higher rating of say 500 or 600 mA should be fine. I would not go any higher then 600 though as those adapters are unregulated and higher current ratings usually equal higher open circuit voltages which could harm the radio. Also, do not use an adapter with less then a 400 mA output current as you will burn it up or it could overheat and melt or catch fire. Also make sure it is 12 Volts DC unless the scanner is marked with a different voltage. I know RS also sells 12 volt regulated adapters that may work but I don’t recommend that as the scanner may have its own internal voltage regulator and it may need the higher voltage a unregulated adapter actually puts out with no load. Most 12 volt unregulated adapters will show an open circuit voltage between 16 and 18 volts and the use the load of the device to bring them down closer to their rated output voltage. If this were a mobile radio then I’d say a regulated 12 volt adapter would be fine but it is really intended for home use.

Search google for 20-136 or Pro-136 Manual and you should find a link to the FCC site which has a copy of the manual in PDF format supplied during the type acceptance phase of the approval process. It seems this is one of the models were RS has recycled the stock number used from an older handheld scanner so searching can be a pain as you will often pull up the wrong scanner.
I'll post the link below but the last time I posted a link here, it disappeared the next day so not sure if it will work. Also this manual I link to may have errors as it may not be the revised manual that was included with the scanner after it was certified but it should be close enough to get you going.
I think the label on the bottom of the scanner has a radio shack number for the original adapter but not sure if you will find one with it.

Here is the link and good luck!:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=915314&native_or_pdf=pdf

I'd attach the manual but it is a tad big and exceeds the linits set here.

EDIT: I see OsloViking1975 asked the same question about the adapter while I was typing. From your reply, you will need one which is what I'm sure he/she will be telling you as well!

Last edited:

RUSHFAN

Thank you kruser for all that info! I'll try your suggestions tomorrow,and see if it helps. Again,many thanks.
RUSH

Status
Not open for further replies.