What is this?

bubbablitz

Visiting my mom for the holidays and I noticed this setup on top of a telephone pole that wasn’t there before. She lives in the hills north of downtown Los Angeles. Is this some type of fill in satellite receiver for LAPD or LAFD? Sorry if the resolution is subpar, I can see two whips up there.

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3594.jpeg
    IMG_3594.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 123

bubbablitz

Possible repeater?
I don’t know. It’s mostly mountaintop repeaters in the city, Mt. Wilson, Mt.Lee, Mt Lukens, Verdugo Peak etc. I don’t think it’s an issue of the mobiles receiving from the antenna, but the mobiles/portables being able to talk back in a steep, hilly area.

lenk911

My guess it is a 900 MHZ packet repeater for the utilities (gas, electric or water) automatic meter reading system. It receives from an equipped meter, stores and resends data to a master site.

nd5y

My guess it is a 900 MHZ packet repeater for the utilities (gas, electric or water) automatic meter reading system. It receives from an equipped meter, stores and resends data to a master site.
That's what I think is most likely but hard to tell without being able to see the antennas.

merlin

There are a number of these in my area, at the bottom, you find a main gas meter with an interface box.
Close enough, I get periodic burst up in the 900 Mhz band.
Another located about 6 miles north lacks the solar but has a Yagi aimed at Chinese peak.
So surely this is a utilities telemetry setup.
One other posibility is BDA for Iot.