• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

what is wifi for on my XPR radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCunningham17

im a noob of course but i always buy the best. i just bought a XPR7550e and a XPR5550e and using them for GMRS. both have blue tooth, wifi, option board, and everything unlocked and included. i have CPS v16 with wide band key. my question is what is wifi and the option board for? I use blue tooth plus the oem programming cables to program.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Wi-Fi is used in conjunction with the MOTOTRBO Radio Management Server for wireless programming and firmware updates. If you only have a couple radios for hobby purposes, it's more than likely overkill.

The Option Board allows applications like LTR or indoor location tracking (with the use of beacons) to be used. I'm sure there are others I'm missing as those are the only ones I'm familiar with but it allows for features not standard.

N1GTL

Database Admin
WiFi Example:

Town has 150 trucks and they are converting from analog to TRBO, same frequency.

Program channel 1 to analog, program channel 2 to digital.

Once vehicle installations are complete, switch infrastructure to TRBO and have all vehicles switch to channel 2.

Use WiFi to push out a new code plug that removes channel 1.

I did this and it worked great. I set up an RM server and a hotspot near the towns gas pump. When the vehicles came in to fuel up, the radios were automatically reprogrammed, removing channel 1. Some might say just leave the analog channel but the system also has GPS and if the driver switches to the analog channel, the GPS stops reporting. True, they can't hear the radio but if they are screwing off and have to hide their location, I don't think they care about hearing the radio.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Radios with WiFi can also be programmed remotely through CPS 16 directly as long you know the static IP of the radio and can connect to it from the computer which is running CPS.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
WiFi is less often used to connect to a WAVE server. WAVE (formerly Wave On Cloud) is a radio over IP application with PTT, location, etc. It isn't commonly used on the radios, but it is there if you pay for the service and have all the backend hardware hooked up. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.