• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is your GMRS call sign?

SCPD

QRT
b7spectra,I can access the Pine Log mtn repeater from my house most of the time and also the other repeater on sassafras mtn also and at times the repeater on 550 but so far not the Lookout Mtn site

DCB65

Premium Subscriber
WQLU758 - just issued today! :-}

EDIT: I applied and paid online yesterday afternoon. My call sign was assigned sometime overnight...well less than 1/2 day!

Last edited:

WQLU507

WQLU507 / Unit Atlanta 23 on the North Georgia GMRS network as of last week :-D (usually hang out on the 625 repeater). Having amazing experiences with the ATL-625, 675 and 700SF repeaters...kinda amusing to me that "amateurs" can build repeaters that covers ENTIRE geographic areas with good mobile and good handheld coverage...and the southside of Smyrna on a HT on the latest and greatest Moto P25 DTRS is like tin cans and string. :-D

k8krh

WQJV681...Southern Indiana
I have never heard anyone on in 2 years..a crowded band<ha>

DOCTOR/795

mikelib

Premium Subscriber
HA- WA2ACV
ZA-WQLE543

I received a pair of Uniden GMR1838-2C this pass Christmas and found that the fully charged batteries last less then any hour when used to make call and talk for a couple of minutes. The call feature seems to kill the batteries faster then the transmitting. Tried 4 brand new AAA alkaline battery and had had the same short battery life problem. Complained to Uniden and they sent another pair of GMR1838-2C HTs. Same problem.

Can anyone recommend a moderately price pair of GMRS HTs?
Thanks
mikelib

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Are you looking for just direct or repeater usage? Don't know why the batteries would die so rapidly, people use them all day long and no problems. Something else must be causing a drain on them, IMHO.

mikelib

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for just direct or repeater usage? Don't know why the batteries would die so rapidly, people use them all day long and no problems. Something else must be causing a drain on them, IMHO.
I just don't know what is draining the batteries. I have the units on monitor, when I want to call my wife I hit the call button. We talk for a minute, go back on Monitor. A couple more calls and the HTs shut down with the low battery symbol flashing. I just had my wife use to using them and they shutdown and she gave up on using them. It's odd that I had the same problem with two sets of them.

I would be using them as direct usage.

I guess I'll recharged them up and check the battery drain with an ammeter.

Thanks for your response

Applied for my GMRS but I don't have a credit card and did not realize that form 159 that the FCC has to receive with in 10 business days if paying manually. Unfortunately I thought I would have the 85.00 dollars to send them. Live and Learn. So I guess I will have to wait. :(

grayn

Premium Subscriber
WQLI544 operating on the East Texas Net. covering almost all of east and north east texas.