• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is your GMRS call sign?

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Gmrs

My pleasure, brother! Aside from the money issue, talking on GMRS is much more emjoyable to me than communicating via cell phone.

KTN4GN

Watch That non-Part 95 Gear!

i just got my callsign today wqlk476 but i get my radio thursday ft-60r i got it off of ebay

FYI: While I know "everyone" does it, using modified Amateur Radio equipment for GMRS is illegal. Part 95 requires you to only use FCC approved gear.

Just saying...Don't brag about it in a public forum!

Steve in Winchester, TN

SCPD

QRT
Why not?

I'm WQKM383.

No offense intended, but at $95 for the license fee, I haven't exactly felt the need to jump into GMRS, especially when it cost me zilch to renew my amateur license a few years ago. Maybe when the economy gets better...

Dave
KA6TJF

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm glad it didn't cost you anything for your amateur license. As I'm sure you have noticed, not everyone here is an amateur and not everyone here want's to be (including myself). Until the FCC deems the GMRS frequencies another CB land, I will gladly pay my $$ and stay where it is nice and quiet.

SCPD

QRT
I'm glad it didn't cost you anything for your amateur license. As I'm sure you have noticed, not everyone here is an amateur and not everyone here want's to be (including myself). Until the FCC deems the GMRS frequencies another CB land, I will gladly pay my $$ and stay where it is nice and quiet.

As I said. No offense intended.:roll:

Dave
KA6TJF

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
I'm WQJP552. I like GMRS. Use it all the time to keep in touch with friends and family on a repeater.

szman

Premium Subscriber
KAE8815 repeater monitoring 462.600 in Eastern, Ct. Still on the air after many years!
Also a ham. K1CSP

John

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I can't wait for a day when you can "patch" together a couple repeaters and talk across the state! (I know in amateur you can do it)

KX4KDH

Database Admin
I can't wait for a day when you can "patch" together a couple repeaters and talk across the state! (I know in amateur you can do it)

The funny part is, there is a thread about this somewhere... Maybe even on another forum. But the guy called the FCC, and they stated there was nothing in the GMRS rules that "specifically" said you can't do it. However, they would not put it in writing. There is more to the story, and I will dig in, and find it.. We will start another thread about it, though....