• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is your GMRS call sign?

ButlerAlerts

Just received WQRC472 on Friday. Still trying to decide on a set of HT's to get programed. The local shop in Corpus Christi (where I'm currently at for business) is recommending Vertex, but I'm still trying to decide which particular model line to use (ie, 231, 351, 417, etc).

Also, anyone know of any mobiles that are Part 95? I've been cruising the forum as a guest for a couple of days now trying to find a definitive answer but can't seem to find one... Lots of comments about "Part 90" being close enough, but no one actually saying X radio from Y band is Part 95. Any suggestions?

I have a Wouxun UV-6D with 4 Watts for UHF, and 5 Watts for VHF (Which isnt GMRS) and I love it! The yaesu FT-60 I heard it down for $160, which I paid for my Wouxun.

mpreece

My Class A Citizen's callsign (now GMRS) is KAB0941 - since 1974 or so, back in the days of assigned frequencies!

Darth_vader

Is it possible to get a personalised ("vanity") GMRS call? I'm considering holding off on renewing my ticket once it expires in a couple years (want to see what sort of move the F¢¢ make with regard to ticketing regulations/service reform, and I've a hunch it might happen in the meantime) but if I do decide to drop another nonrefundable $85, I want to use my late Grampa's old CB call letters, in tribute to him.

Possible/legal?

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Is it possible to get a personalised ("vanity") GMRS call? I'm considering holding off on renewing my ticket once it expires in a couple years (want to see what sort of move the F¢¢ make with regard to ticketing regulations/service reform, and I've a hunch it might happen in the meantime) but if I do decide to drop another nonrefundable $85, I want to use my late Grampa's old CB call letters, in tribute to him.

Possible/legal?

I wish I could get my old CB call sign to replace my GMRS. KSI6569!

RandyKnowles

My Old Call Sign / Call Sign Fee

Greetings to all in the GMRS Zone.

My Class A Citizens' Radio Service (now GMRS) Call Sign is now the oldest active one issued to an individual in the country. It's KAA 8142, first issued in mid 1970. Before last year the oldest individual call was KAA 2800 issued (in late '65 or '66?) to a gentleman in Silver Spring Maryland, whom I met in 2011. I met Al Gross, the father of Citizens Radio, at a meeting of the FCC's Personal Use Radio Advisory Committee (PURAC) in 1977.

My Class B Call Sign was KAN0682 (low power UHF)
My Class D Call Sign was KPJ1093 (27 MHz)

I set up my first repeater in the north suburbs of Chicago in 1971. Over the years I have replaced the mobile relay twice, now on my 3rd generation of gear. My repeater is the main system here for NSEA, 462/467.675 MHz, tone 141.3. Open access to transient users from out of town while in the area, registration required for local users per section 95.33 of the FCC Rules and Regulations.

NSEA (our GMRS public service association) was the first REACT Team with an Class A repeater. We were instrumental (along with folks from Detroit's MEP) in getting the first REACT national convention organized in 1976. In the mid 70's and 80's I demonstrated Class A repeater systems (mostly in the eastern US) to about 5 or 6 dozen REACT teams and some Red Cross Chapters and helped them to get licensed and started with their own repeater systems.

To those considering letting their call signs lapse, don't do it!! Keeping your call sign renewed is one way of demonstrating your support to continue GMRS as a licensed, and thus useful, more disciplined service.

The real issue now is getting the Congress to stop legislating the GMRS Application Fee ($60, separate from the "Regulatory Fee" of $5 per year) as a matter of FEDERAL LAW [Title 47 United States Code, sections 158 (b) and (g)] and to make the Application Fee at least reasonably related to the actual cost of processing (probably less than $5). If we could get Congress to drop the Application Fee altogether (like Amateur Radio) the cost of a GMRS license would be $25.00. (The $5/year Regulatory Fee is used to fund FCC enforcement, Rule-Making, and other activities relating to GMRS.)

My best to all GMRS operators out there!!

on2baja

Just got my GMRS license, WQTJ625.
Very efficient process I must say. Applied online at the FCC ULS website on Monday night (Federal holiday), and got my license issued early this morning, less than 36 hours later. Great stuff!!