What keeps me off the streets at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @mbott, yes, very nice station setup that you have there! I could comfortably sit in front of that equipment spread too all night long. I believe that is an Astron power supply sitting on top of the wood-block on the left underside of the desk. Does that provide +13.8 VDC to everything that needs it? The power supply probably sits on the wood-block so as to not obstruct the convection cooling air vents on the bottom of the case. Very smart layout engineering for equipment longevity.

73, Dave K4EET

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Good morning @K4EET. Yes, it's a Astron 12A and it powers my Timewave ANC-4, the R75, the 7300 and the R-5000. I did pick up the Astron 35A with the idea the 7300 would provide the incentive to finally get my ticket (hasn't happened). Started with the 4A when it was the R75 only. My 1991 Sony 2010 was the only radio I had for quite a while (20+ years), then as retirement approached, I added what you see on the table.

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Wow!!!
Nice desk too!!!

Thanks! Local Amish furniture shop and they called it a Paymasters table. Had them build the top aux. shelf to match. An insert of 2 drawers and 2 shelves normally found where the bottom row of equipment is rests down in the basement. Before I retired, I did a lot of "work from home" and this was ground zero for that.

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I spot a Japan Radio Company NRD-545 DSP receiver! (y)
Nope, mine is the 535D. Picked it up when I decided the IC-R8600 was much more than I needed and more than I wanted to spend. :)

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Been thinking (run for cover!). A couple of years ago I have the aux. shelf made for the Paymasters table I have the radios & monitors on. Thinking it's time to do that again so I can replace the 2 drawer/2 shelf unit I removed for the radios. At first I thought it would make the top shelf too tall, but now I don't think so.

Moving all the stuff around on the table will be an all day project on its own. :) The difference between what I have and the pic below is the drawers and shelves are reversed..

--
Mikepaymaster.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Been thinking (run for cover!). A couple of years ago I have the aux. shelf made for the Paymasters table I have the radios & monitors on. Thinking it's time to do that again so I can replace the 2 drawer/2 shelf unit I removed for the radios. At first I thought it would make the top shelf too tall, but now I don't think so.

Moving all the stuff around on the table will be an all day project on its own. :) The difference between what I have and the pic below is the drawers and shelves are reversed..--
Mike

Looks like the top might be a nice height for a few scanners!

K1MLG

Premium Subscriber
I am about to tear my radio/shelf/ desk apart so I am scouting for ideas. That's a very nice desk you have. Good radio collection too.
Michael

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I am about to tear my radio/shelf/ desk apart so I am scouting for ideas. That's a very nice desk you have. Good radio collection too.
Michael
The Aux shelf makes it workable for radio, especially that the shelf/drawer unit slides right out. A second Aux shelf will be an experiment. I probably could have mounted the monitors on arms from the wall, but I wanted to try the 2nd shelf idea first. I did have to cut openings in the back of the paymaster table, but I cut them where they will be well hidden when the shelf/drawer is back in place. Hopefully I should hear what the 2nd shelf will run on Monday. The Aux shelf is sitting on rubber feet as not to mar the shelf top. Adds a bit of clearance, too.

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Slight revision. I generally run Linux on the laptop, but I've kept the Windows 10 HD updated. I swapped HDs and changed the monitor settings to Extend. Now I have access to 2 SDRs with the laptop and two with the desktop. Just might keep this arrangement for a while.

Capture.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.