what kind if antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Agreed. The length, the design, the coax, and the connector all scream "cellphone". And I mean CELLphone, not dual-band cell/PCS phone. It's most likely only an 824-896mhz antenna.

af5rn

Heck of a deal for the price. If it is indeed a cellular band antenna, it should do you a very good job on 800mhz. Nice for taking with you in a rental or loaner car, or even sticking on a pie plate or air conditioner unit for indoor scanning.

stevolene

well I got this antenna today and its a beauty, with a TNC connector, looks for all purposes to definitely be a cell phone antenna, does anyone make a TNC to BNC adapter? hate to see such a pretty antenna go to waste

stevolene

Lasagna is layered and lossy to RF. Thin crust pizza makes a better ground plane but avoid those little 8" personal size versions unless you only do 800MHz. Antennas and food, ummm.
prcguy

well I have an insulated 14" pizza pan thats terrible for pizza, however, since its insulated, it could make a better ground plane with the added shielding?

af5rn

nevermind, I see RS has one, Ill pick one up this week to see if this dog will hunt
Model: 278-144
Yeah, if it has something to do with cellphones or iPods, you can usually count on Rat Shack to have it. I use a cellphone antenna for scanning in my wifes car, and I got the TNC adaptor from Rat Shack.

stevolene

Lasagna is layered and lossy to RF. Thin crust pizza makes a better ground plane but avoid those little 8" personal size versions unless you only do 800MHz. Antennas and food, ummm.
prcguy

good deal, Im actually wanting to start drilling some holes in the ol crown vic, that big trunk lid would make for a nice ground plane

Lowa2

af5rn

Why don't you just buy a BNC connector and install it on the antenna?
That's what he already said he's doing.

And yes..they do make BNC to TNC adapters.

But that's alot of money.
There's not even a price on that page. Regardless, they're only around $5 bucks at Rat Shack. Even I don't call that "alot of money".

Lowa2

i was looking on the digikey website....it was like 200$! LOL

Then I found another source, and it was like 5$. Sorry.....

af5rn

LOL! That must have been for a gross of them! :lol:

I did that once. Was looking for a part and though it was outrageous, then realised they were priced by the dozen, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.