• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What kind of Digital Radio's is Your Agency using??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Im looking for input on what brand and/or model digital radio's is your agency using? Right now my county and others around me are studying digital radio's to use on the Ohio MARCs system, they are looking at the big M and Johnson so far. Any Input (Good or Bad) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Hoser

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
On 813A there are XTS3000's Astro Spectra's, XTS5000's, XTS2500's, XTL1500's, XTL2500's and XTL5000's. Very few Johnson's (2 or 3) are in service that are digital capable and most will go away with re-banding.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, since the Ohio MARCS is a Motorola system you'll only be able to look at either them or EF Johnson for radios. I know of a group on MARCS who use EFJs, but I don't know what they think of them. If your department is seriously considering them I can try to put you in touch with someone from this group. I have heard from other users who tried the EFJs on an analog system and were unimpressed with their performance overall and had serious concerns about their reliability in decoding the control channel data. There isn't much to say about the Motorola radios other than if you've got the money, they are the clear choice. I've had experience with XTS3000s, XTS5000s, Astro Spectras, and XTL5000s, all of which work just fine. The 3000s and Astro Spectras haven't been in production for a while; you'll get an XTS/XTL-5000, -2500, or -1500, depending on exactly what features you need.

hoser147

Sadly, since the Ohio MARCS is a Motorola system you'll only be able to look at either them or EF Johnson for radios. I know of a group on MARCS who use EFJs, but I don't know what they think of them. If your department is seriously considering them I can try to put you in touch with someone from this group. I have heard from other users who tried the EFJs on an analog system and were unimpressed with their performance overall and had serious concerns about their reliability in decoding the control channel data. There isn't much to say about the Motorola radios other than if you've got the money, they are the clear choice. I've had experience with XTS3000s, XTS5000s, Astro Spectras, and XTL5000s, all of which work just fine. The 3000s and Astro Spectras haven't been in production for a while; you'll get an XTS/XTL-5000, -2500, or -1500, depending on exactly what features you need.
That would be great its kinda torn in this county as to which radio's, one chief is pushing for Moto's and the other EFJs both are the big dogs as far as depts go. The smaller communities are volunteer and will pretty much go with what the others agree on..........Thanks Hoser

swhetsell

WV State Police is making the move to digital in the new statewide system. We are using EF Johnson 3500 series mobiles in all cars, and Motorola Astro Portables (but i'm not sure of the model right now). Both of which seem to be working well for us.

D

DaveNF2G

Don't you have a state bid system? Just choose the brand/model that is most affordable at the contract price.

hoser147

Don't you have a state bid system? Just choose the brand/model that is most affordable at the contract price.

Yes it is done thru the State bidding system. Right now we have 2 Motorola XTS5000 portables and a Spectra W7 in the watch room. Right now the XTS 5000 will probably go to the Incident commander and what is purchased beyond that depends on affordability and usage.........Hoser

KX5MOT

On the Oklahoma State DPS system for the newer radios we are using XTS5000/XTS2500 portables and t XTL5000/XTL2500 Mobiles which work very well.

SCANMUNCIE

My PD agency is using MOTO XTS-5000 model 2. We dont have mobiles, only portables.. Never had any experenice with the EFJ.. I have noticed some of the State Troopers in our area are carrying the EFJ radios, but havent heard any comments one way or another...

RodStrong

My agency uses XTS2500 handhelds. We are happy with them so far. Been using for pushing a year now.

Good luck.

kb9sxk

Can you enlighten me on what you like/dislike about the two? Our county is at a deadlock between the two. Thanks Hoser

Price
The EFJ kills the 2500. the 5000 is even
Encryption is included in the EFJ
Ruggedized is standard in the EFJ
uses most jedi stuff
scans more than 16 talkgroups

steele_lpd

The majority of the PD's around NH are using older Motorola XTS3000's. Some have the limited keypad and others (mostly State Police) are using the full keypad version. As more and more are breaking down they're switching to the XTS2500's... again with the limited keypad.

To the best of my knowledge most, if not all, of the PD's and Fire Departments (with the exception of Manchester and Nashua because they're on their own 800MHz trunking systems) are using ASTRO Spectras... or XTL's with ASTRO Spectra control heads.

The digital radios provided to the fire departments came though grant money... Motorola was the only option for mobiles... ASTRO Spectras... When it came time for portables the departments were given an option... Either Motorola (XTS2500's) or Kenwood's TK-5210's.

I use an XTS2500 for fire department operations and it does work well. The only problem we had was with the antennas. They came from the dealer with wide band antennas that didn't work for us because our frequencies are near the top of the band. They worked fine for fireground operations but did not work well for talking back to dispatch (keep in mind the dispatch center is about 30 miles away and the closest base station they have is on a mountain about 10 miles away).

I have not had a chance to do anything with the Kenwoods other than some programming. The XTS2500's are smaller (in height) than the 3000's but feel heavier. Feedback from local PD's that have a mix of older XTS3000's and newer XTS2500's is that the 2500's do work better (for their particular application).

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I use an XTS2500 for fire department operations and it does work well. The only problem we had was with the antennas. They came from the dealer with wide band antennas that didn't work for us because our frequencies are near the top of the band. They worked fine for fireground operations but did not work well for talking back to dispatch (keep in mind the dispatch center is about 30 miles away and the closest base station they have is on a mountain about 10 miles away).

What frequency/band are you using?

stickair

Here in Europe, usually the public safety services uses TETRA, TErrestrial Trunking RAdio. If I have to be honest: THAT'S A -.-. .-. .- .--. !!! Yeah, very small terminals and lot of functions in, but: what about the power? 1W? yeah, digital... it doesn't need so much... but... 1W?

Here I think our public services must use APCO25, iDAS or analogic another time.
There was some firemans dead coz the useless of this ONLY watt.

Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.