• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What kind of Digital Radio's is Your Agency using??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
159.9000, 160.1100, 160.1550, and a few in the middle of the band like 154.2800.

Ok, if you have the real wideband antenna they are made to cover the entire 136-174 band. Even the 150-162 antenna would work fine for you as far as the radio is concerned. You likely have other issues than the antenna as the OEM wideband whip does perform better than any other antenna they offer.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I would recommend that you try out a few Icom F70 portable radios with the P25 option. I work for a dealer that sells Kenwood, Icom, Motorola, Relm :)D), and Vertex/Standard. I would have to say, based
on my own personal experiences with Icom, Motorola, and M/A-Com P25 VHF portables in the same
system, that the Icoms measure up very well and are dramatically less expensive.

Icom also offers P25 VHF and UHF mobile radios which are also excellent, and much less expensive than
the competition.

I would not recommend these radios if I wasn't impressed by their performance and durability.

PM me for details. The company I work for is quite willing to speak to you about the Icom P25 radios
and show you just how much LESS you have to spend to get a GOOD radio.

Elroy

cg

Premium Subscriber
Before they go and buy and sign contracts etc, they should get samples of both vendors products, added cross patch equipment to the old system and tested the crap out of the system coverage and radio functions. Don't let the radio guys tell you that everything will work fine, test it, especially if it is a band change and/or there are no previous users in the area.

Unless there is something brand new, ICOMs don't do Motorola trunking.

studying digital radio's to use on the Ohio MARCs system

chris

SCPD

QRT
Currently in use are the Icom IC-F70D and a WONDERFUL radio it is. Purchased through a DHS Grant the radio ran about $900.00 each. 40 were purchased. The City Police here use this radio and Love it. The Sheriff's Office uses the Motorola XTS-2500 and put against the IC-F70D with Identical programing, the 70D eats the Motorola and spits it out in Tiny pieces. The Motorola ran $2,700.00 Each purchased in a lot of 90. Accessories are less expensive The Warranty much better (2 years from the rep, an additional 1 year from Icom.) Motorola offered the same but for an additional fee.

The Screen on the F-70D is double line 16 Char. The Software and Cable were: $140.00 for the cable (But its Icom universal for all models) the Software like $40.00 bucks. The software is a Charm to work too. Icom doesn't make Radio tech's take a LONG class to use the software nor do they charge a Fee for the licensing.

Our VFD use both the F-70D and a Relm Digital. The Relm was $1,200 ea. the Software and Cable an additional $90.00. I personally don't care for the relm, it has horrible Audio and it lacks user friendliness in operation but Not near as bad as the Motorola XTS-2500.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The EFJ 53SL is an awesome radio for the money. It ran circles around the XTS2500, which is an overpriced POS. In the tests ran for the agency I work with, the 53SL has clearer audio, could hear much better, and is a fraction of the cost. Plus they use the same batteries, chargers and audio accessories as the XTS3000/5000.

It's amazing how Motorola could charge so much (2700) dollars for a low end Pro Series turd like the 2500 when you can actually buy a radio rated for public safety like the 53SL, Kenwood 5210, or Icom F70/F80 for a third the price.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
While Icom radios will probably never support Motorola's trunking protocols (proprietary), their new radio being released October 1st has P25 Trunking (the open standard). The F70/F80 series are conventional P25 only.

Icom is releasing the VHF version of the portable and mobile on October 1st, with the UHF version to follow in February. The VHF version has had FCC approval since June, and is one sexy radio. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

VHF Portable: F9011
VHF Mobile: F9511

Retail prices for the portable (so far):

F9011T: $3,525.00
F9011S: $3,130.00
F9011B: $2,450.00

Now, I know that sounds almost as bad as Motorola, but keep in mind, the F70/F80 are usually had for $900, but their retail price is $1,820.00. So figure that you'll be able to get the F9011 for ALMOST half of retail, give or take. About $1,762.00 for the top model isn't that bad at all.

Brochure and manual are on my website: http://www.mygmrs.com/icom/F9011

Last edited:

steele_lpd

Ok, if you have the real wideband antenna they are made to cover the entire 136-174 band. Even the 150-162 antenna would work fine for you as far as the radio is concerned. You likely have other issues than the antenna as the OEM wideband whip does perform better than any other antenna they offer.

Well... the new antennas they got to replace the OEM antennas fixed the problem...

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
While Icom radios will probably never support Motorola's trunking protocols (proprietary), their new radio being released October 1st has P25 Trunking (the open standard). The F70/F80 series are conventional P25 only.

Icom is releasing the VHF version of the portable and mobile on October 1st, with the UHF version to follow in February. The VHF version has had FCC approval since June, and is one sexy radio. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

VHF Portable: F9011
VHF Mobile: F9511

Retail prices for the portable (so far):

F9011T: $3,525.00
F9011S: $3,130.00
F9011B: $2,450.00

Now, I know that sounds almost as bad as Motorola, but keep in mind, the F70/F80 are usually had for $900, but their retail price is $1,820.00. So figure that you'll be able to get the F9011 for ALMOST half of retail, give or take. About $1,762.00 for the top model isn't that bad at all.

Brochure and manual are on my website: http://www.mygmrs.com/icom/F9011

Did you get your hands on one of these yet? This looks like something I'd be interested in to replace my VHF P25 conventional-only Astro Saber.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
stateboy said:
Did you get your hands on one of these yet? This looks like something I'd be interested in to replace my VHF P25 conventional-only Astro Saber.

If I had the cash, I'd get one. I'm busy financing a repeater project at the moment, so all spare change goes into that. Since a UHF version is due out around February, I might wait until then. Most of what I listen to is on UHF, so I can settle for a lower-tier VHF radio.

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Remember Motorola is not the best radio....Only the best MARKETED radio....LOL

EFJ's did get a big DHS contract as well acouple of years ago...And are running strong

EF Johnsons are not that great either. If you have a budget problem, you get an EF Johnson. And...EF Johnson has its phases of popularity. One year they are great, and the next year...they are doing just so-so.

I agree. Motorola is the best marketed radio. Kenwood has so much money, that they can phase one particular model of radio out in about 5 or 6 years.

FF-Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Im looking for input on what brand and/or model digital radio's is your agency using? Right now my county and others around me are studying digital radio's to use on the Ohio MARCs system, they are looking at the big M and Johnson so far. Any Input (Good or Bad) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Hoser

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101139&highlight=fire+scene

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120406

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-pro...-LODD-highlights-digital-radio-system-issues/

You can "Google" for days , and find alot of downsides to P25. More so, you can find numerous troubles with P25, that you don't have with analog. From my view, P25 is good for one thing. Sending, or receiving "Data".

I, along with many others on RR.Com are not fans of P25. Digital may have it's place in Public Safety, but not in voice communication. We on the front lines of Public Safety have done without it for years. It's another item / use , in a long line of Public Safety perks. It is not the first invention handed out to Fire / EMS and Law Enforcement...and it most definately will not be the last. If an ACME communications company can come up with something to cost taxpayers and Public Safety agencys money, they will come up with it.

Once and awhile, a local city Law Enforcement agency near where I work says " Go to Private" on the radio. Well, it's not "Private". It's a simplex radio transmission. Anyone in Public Safety, a die hard radio / scanner listener , Ham Radio enthusiast knows that most Tac channels / "Private" Channels are the transmit freqs of their radio system, or..OR are within 2 Mhz of the primary channel. Once an awhile there is a band switch..but not often. And with frequency counters, "Close Call" and ect...It is not hard to get the radio frequency. And being only a block or two apart, instead of using their portables to minimize the distance they transmit..they broadcast on their 35 or 50 watt mobiles. You would think after the Sheriffs Dept says " give me a call on my cell phone." that someone in the upper echelon of the city would get a clue. I guess that they don't. If it goes over the airwaves, it is not "Private". Voice inversion is not even safe, and you would be amazed at the number of people who think it is terrific. Voice scrambling, versus scrambling the radio signal. AES versus DES encryption. APCO Digitial...... Is it safe. Hump?

Military Commo training. Don't use anymore power than you need.

Oh-kay..Point being..alot of people get equipment that they don't understand. After I got out of the sandbox in "91" there was a Deputy working as a nightwatchman where my cousin worked. A white Chrysler unmakerd crusier. Lowband Motorola. Keys on top for transmit freq, Keys on the lower deck for the recieve freq. DPS unit number taped on the upper deck. My cousing asked about the Motorola radio in his crusier. The deputys reply was " I don't know. I push the button on the Mike to transmit, and let go to listen, that is all I need to know about it." Wellllll, I guess he was a little right.

Radio systems need to be kept simple. The more bells and whistles you throw into it, the more you increase the "Murphy Factor". If VHF High band works well in your area, just beacuse you got a $1.5 mil grant, don't switch to UHF as a primary system. If you don't understand...ask someone who does. "MOST" radio companys have one purpose ; and that is to make a profit. A profit at the expense of the taxpayer, with the assistance of Public Safety.

FF-Medic !!!!

Raccon

Here in Europe, usually the public safety services uses TETRA, TErrestrial Trunking RAdio. If I have to be honest: THAT'S A -.-. .-. .- .--. !!! Yeah, very small terminals and lot of functions in, but: what about the power? 1W? yeah, digital... it doesn't need so much... but... 1W?
So tell us why a TETRA radio would need more power when you can balance the up- and downlink with 1W radios?

Not to mention that more RF power means more battery power required which means bigger batteries which means bigger and heavier radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.