• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Kind of Fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Track

I have a Kenwood 8360, that came with 15a, 250v fuses on the battery connection cables. They just look like standard, glass barrel fuses. One of them stopped working and I need to replace. It doesn't have any burned areas like other burned out fuses I've seen, it just has no continuity. It was a replacement wiring setup that just looks like a cheap, Chinese, no-name brand. (Has Chinese writing on the wires.)

I've been looking for something like a Bussman, but the only ones I've found are either 15 amp, 32v or 15 amp, 125 volt. (It's a 45-watt radio.)

Do I need to get the 250 volt version? Was it the correct rating to start with?

Thanks for any advise.

Steve.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
It's quite common to use the 250v fuses worldwide. Just go with a 15A 125V if that's all you can find - assuming you're using 120V power!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a Kenwood 8360, that came with 15a, 250v fuses on the battery connection cables. They just look like standard, glass barrel fuses. One of them stopped working and I need to replace. It doesn't have any burned areas like other burned out fuses I've seen, it just has no continuity. It was a replacement wiring setup that just looks like a cheap, Chinese, no-name brand. (Has Chinese writing on the wires.)

I've been looking for something like a Bussman, but the only ones I've found are either 15 amp, 32v or 15 amp, 125 volt. (It's a 45-watt radio.)

Do I need to get the 250 volt version? Was it the correct rating to start with?

Thanks for any advise.

Steve.

The stock DC wiring kits would have had a 15 amp ATC fuse. If you have a cheap Chinese power cable, you may want to replace it. Never been impressed with glass fuses in mobile applications.

You should be able to find 15 amp fuses at an auto parts store.

wtp

the AMP setting is where it breaks.
the voltage is what happens after it breaks, the spacing between the now melted metal, and the contacts and if it will allow arcing.

9Track

I am going to replace all of them (have five sets to replace). These are on 12v DC power supplies at base or will be in vehicles. To replace them with ATC fuses - I'm assuming there is some kind of kit or some parts I can replace in-line on the wires? Actually, I'm going to replace the wires, as well. I don't trust any of the cheapness of these wiring setups.

I guess I've never seen an in-line ATC fuse holder?

Will the 32v rating be a problem for now?

Thanks.

9Track

Ah - just found the in-line ATC fuses on a Kenwood factory wiring harness for a TM-V71A. Can someone steer me towards where I can purchase several Kenwood factory wiring setups for the 8360s? The fuses for the TM-V71A are in an extension set for that radio. They are 20 amp fuses. Are those safe enough for the 8360? I thought you would use a 15 amp fuse for a 45 watt radio?

I'm just not sure who sells factory wiring for Kenwood?

Thanks.

cmdrwill

One problem with the glass fuses is that the solder in the end caps melts due to poor contact to fuse holder not really clean that causes heat.

Use the ATC 15 fuses. Any good auto parts store.

9Track

One problem with the glass fuses is that the solder in the end caps melts due to poor contact to fuse holder not really clean that causes heat.

Use the ATC 15 fuses. Any good auto parts store.

Okay. I guess I need to find quality fuse holders somewhere. What voltage rating is best for the fuses?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
ATC fuse holders are readily available at auto parts stores. If you’re running a very short distance from PS to radio, get fuse holders that have 14 ga stranded wire. Consider 12 ga for longer runs, at least for a 45 watt radio.

9Track

Is 8ga overkill? I saw a reference somewhere that mmckenna mentioned using 8ga. The cable coming out of the radio looks to only be about 14ga (or, 16ga?), as it is, though. I wouldn't want to burn up the radio end of the wiring.

Is there a particular brand of fuse and fuse holders that are good?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Is 8ga overkill? I saw a reference somewhere that mmckenna mentioned using 8ga. The cable coming out of the radio looks to only be about 14ga (or, 16ga?), as it is, though. I wouldn't want to burn up the radio end of the wiring.

8 ga or larger would typically be used to feed a fuse block from a battery in a vehicle or a large power supply, either for multiple radios or other items.

This chart maybe useful:
ABDD8BA9-7069-4CE6-BCB1-32D44A57EC81.png

cmdrwill

I will also add:
ATC fuses are closed and meant to use under the hood. They are sealed so the spark when the fuse blows is not exposed to gas fumes ect under the hood.

ATO fuses are not sealed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Is there a particular brand of fuse and fuse holders that are good?

Yeah, that was for feeding multiple radios, or for really long power runs. For one GMRS radio in a standard auto, 8 gauge would be overkill, unless you plan on adding more radios later on.

The Kenwood KCT-23M3 is the right cable. You should be able to find those fairly cheap.

9Track

Thanks, everyone for the great help. There is a lot of knowledge among you guys.

And ramal121 - thanks much for that direct link! I placed an order with them. They seem to be a good resource for a lot of radio parts.

Steve C0625 - thanks for the chart. Saved it to my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.