What kind of operations did I just pick up?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I was scanning the NXDN trunked system and heard traffic that kept talking about "Coming up easy" "Less brake" "all colors at 250 psi" and kept talking about multiple the colors and occasional tangling and rollers on the truck.

There's been a lot of new internet fiber laying in town with an electrical company running the ditch witches and putting the orange conduit down and doing most of the work but then there's also the internet company it's for that I sometimes see running stuff down the conduit pipes so I can't really figure out which company it is.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was scanning the NXDN trunked system and heard traffic that kept talking about "Coming up easy" "Less brake" "all colors at 250 psi" and kept talking about multiple the colors and occasional tangling and rollers on the truck.

There's been a lot of new internet fiber laying in town with an electrical company running the ditch witches and putting the orange conduit down and doing most of the work but then there's also the internet company it's for that I sometimes see running stuff down the conduit pipes so I can't really figure out which company it is.

This would be a great question for the state forum where you heard the traffic, of course sharing the city/county/state would be helpful too.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
There not really too many people on the forum from here so I just shared here since some people on the site have done various communications type work to see if anyone knew anything.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I was scanning the NXDN trunked system
Link to system? What talkgroup(s)? I'll echo @RaleighGuy's advice to request this thread to be moved to your local discussion forum (click "Report", don't start a new thread)
BTW, the IC-R20's a superb receiver, love mine.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

After I got out of the service in the mid-1990's, I ran a fiber optic installation crew for about 2 years. It's been a long time, but it sounds similar to what we did.

Coming up easy: Might have been talking about carefully adjusting tension on the pull. Might have been about the cable moving smoothly through the duct.

Less brake: The trucks/trailers that carry the reels of cable have a brake on the reels. That keeps the cable from rolling off uncontrolled. Adjusting tension on the cable is important to keep things from turning into a mess. Too little tension, and the reel can unwind on it's own. Too much tension, and the pulling can be fighting against it. Careful balance. I wasn't doing huge reels of cables, so usually just stands on the ground and holding your boot agains the reel was the brake.

"all colors at 250 psi" could be a number of things. Often a flexible duct is pulled in using horizontal boring machines rather than trenching. Since that's expensive and they can resell extra space, more than one duct is pulled in. Often they are different colors for identification. The amount of hydraulic pressure on the winch would show how much pull is being exerted and let them know if everything is working correctly.
Or, could be multiple cables.
Or, something completely different.

But, yeah, sounds like either fiber pulling or at least horizontal boring/duct installation work going on.

Not sure where you are located. I know that AT&T out here in my area uses UHF NXDN for their operations, some repeated, some simplex.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
After I got out of the service in the mid-1990's, I ran a fiber optic installation crew for about 2 years. It's been a long time, but it sounds similar to what we did.

Coming up easy: Might have been talking about carefully adjusting tension on the pull. Might have been about the cable moving smoothly through the duct.

Less brake: The trucks/trailers that carry the reels of cable have a brake on the reels. That keeps the cable from rolling off uncontrolled. Adjusting tension on the cable is important to keep things from turning into a mess. Too little tension, and the reel can unwind on it's own. Too much tension, and the pulling can be fighting against it. Careful balance. I wasn't doing huge reels of cables, so usually just stands on the ground and holding your boot agains the reel was the brake.

"all colors at 250 psi" could be a number of things. Often a flexible duct is pulled in using horizontal boring machines rather than trenching. Since that's expensive and they can resell extra space, more than one duct is pulled in. Often they are different colors for identification. The amount of hydraulic pressure on the winch would show how much pull is being exerted and let them know if everything is working correctly.

But, yeah, sounds like either fiber pulling or at least horizontal boring/duct installation work going on.

Not sure where you are located. I know that AT&T out here in my area uses UHF NXDN for their operations, some repeated, some simplex.
Thank you for the actual response and useful information instead of the usual cookie cutter solution post count inflators repeatedly ignoring information every time I explain.

Given the timing and the activity I observed in person between the electrical contractor and the internet company it seems to be the internet company I'm hearing, specially since I already found the electrical contractor on 2 FRS channels using those Cobra Business branded bubblepacks.

Same setup here though leased talkgroup from another communications company instead of licensed directly, 450-460 MHz range NXDN 4800 trunk with multisite capability. There is AT&T fibers already running through town but that's mostly used by the cellular and tower site hosting company. The city went with ALLO for putting in the new lines here.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'

Heavy haul/lift. Like lifting a house using hydraulics/air jacks. Rollers would make sense if they are lifting it to get it onto a frame for transport as well.