• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What kind of radio system and radios would work best for my business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to see about getting two way communications for my business. I'm more keen on scanners so radios are somewhat new to me, be easy on me please! I'm looking for the best radio and system type for a news photography business in the Tampa, Florida area. Here's what we're looking for...

Total Users: 2 (for Now)
Usage: Business, news media related
Radio Type: Preferably portables
Ideal Coverage: Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco Counties, Floirda.
(Roughly 50 miles north to south by 40 miles east to west, 2000 square miles)
(Mix of urban and rural areas with water)
(Lots of weather fluctuations and radio interference)
(I attached a map of the three counties and populated cities)
And of course, something that is very affordable, we'll be splitting the costs of the any radios/licences/airtime/ect involved.

We've looked into several system options including conventional, LTR trunking, and NexTel. If I need to provide any other information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 657

bezking

Two thousand square miles? I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but you are looking at a massive system with *several* repeaters... You are easily looking at $25-30K after all the equipment you need. Also keep in mind you will need to find somewhere to put all those repeaters, and tower space rental fees could approach $1m per year...

If I were you I would go with Nextel.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Two thousand square miles? I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but you are looking at a massive system with *several* repeaters... You are easily looking at $25-30K after all the equipment you need. Also keep in mind you will need to find somewhere to put all those repeaters, and tower space rental fees could approach $1m per year...

If I were you I would go with Nextel.

I completely understand, it's a huge area. We've looked at two companies with LTR systems with multiple towers in our area and quoted for WAY less and probably cheaper than NexTel. The companies don't quite have 2,000 miles coverage, but they are close enough that I can live with. However, I'm just looking for other options I might not have explored.

N

N_Jay

Nextel unless there is a SMR or CMRS (leased system) that cover what you need.

Or just good old cellular.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
It would be cost prohibitive to put up something of your own to cover that amount of square miles as you would have to deal with leasing space on towers, which currently isn't cheap. You would also need to look to get insurance for the installation and then hire the tower crew to install your hardline and antennas.

If you really need/want PTT go with NEXTEL, Verizon, or AT&T that all provide PTT services.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm was looking more along the lines of leasing "space" on a LTR, or other shared trunked system if I decide not to use Nextel.

However I discovered simply...
Nextel - Cheap phones, expensive plan.
LTR - Expensive radios, cheap plan.

I have used radios on both of the the available LTR system providers in my area, so I have a pretty good idea on how reliable they are. But what are the cheapest Motorola models I can use on an LTR system?

Now if Nextel is really the best way to go, then I don't mind paying more in the long run, but I don't have any experience using Nextel. Can anyone provide feedback on Nextel and it's reliability?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
We've decided to purchase a couple of pre-paid Sprint phones and we'll be playing around with them in different areas for the next few days. If we're not satisfied we'll try another carrier, I wasn't aware Verizon and AT&T had similar services. Thanks everyone for the help!

ab9ws

i would try the verizon push to talk, i have had it over a year and i am very pleased with the service, much cheaper than lmr radios or nextel. it also has the feature you can see if some one is available for a ptt call. its definately worth checking into!!

AB9WS

nah2323

Keep in mind..

Keep in mind that if there is a major power failure on a cell tower, you may not have any use for the cell phone based technology. This happened in my area about 6 years ago, where the entire north east was powerless, and the only technology that worked was radio communication.

I used to utilize Nextel for my business, and the coverage over distance is great. It's really like a cell phone without the ringing, just ptt. The service of Nextel in my area was mediocre. I have switched to portable vhf's and lost my Nextel plan. I have boost prepaid cards in my old Nextel phones though, should the situation arise where the distance is further than my portables will communicate reliably.

I'm currently looking at setting my vehicles up with mobile VHF repeaters to eliminate the need for the Nextel all together. Since the boost is in there, I can always call that a "Plan B". With a decent repeater setup, I would have no issue covering the distance you speak of for less than $1k. Mobile repeaters can be found in various forms, just check them out all over the web.. A system like this would be ideal if the users utilizes the same vehicles respectively.

stevelton

Something to keep in mind.
If you lease time on someone else's LTR system, you probably wont be able to buy your own radio off of ebay and have it programmed to their system.
On my system, The information needed to program a radio to properly access the system is kept in the safe, no one gets access to it. You have to get the radios from me, so I dont get some wanna be radio tech screwing up my system.
Steven

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Something to keep in mind.
If you lease time on someone else's LTR system, you probably wont be able to buy your own radio off of ebay and have it programmed to their system.
On my system, The information needed to program a radio to properly access the system is kept in the safe, no one gets access to it. You have to get the radios from me, so I dont get some wanna be radio tech screwing up my system.
Steven

Then there are those of us who are REAL techs who would do this just because we can! :lol:
Just kidding! :wink:
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.