What kind of scanner do I need for James Island Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkums16

Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to the world of scanners and need help. My boyfriend is starting as a James Island Firefighter and I need to buy a scanner. I have NO idea what kind to get, where to get it, how to use it, etc. I have been reading your threads on here but I'm afraid I still need some guidance. Can anyone offer me a little bit of insight? Thank you SO much in advance!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Charleston County operates on the Palmetto P25 system located here: Palmetto (Project 25) Trunking System, , South Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

You'll need a digital trunk-tracking scanner to monitor this system. Examples of scanners that will monitor this system are Radio Shack PRO-106/197, Uniden BCD396XT/996XT, Uniden Home Patrol, and GRE PSR-500/600. Older digital scanners that can be purchased used may not work well on this system.

You will also want to invest in programming software for these scanners - it will make programming them much easier. In the case of the Home Patrol, it comes "pre-programmed" in a sense and has a less steep learning curve than the others.

GRE has a new, easier-to-use digital scanner model due out later this year that looks interesting, call the PSR-800.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

evan

Database Admin
Ham Radio Outlet is selling the PSR-500 for $329 until 1/15. That price includes the programming cable. Plus you get free shipping. If you do buy it, I can email you a file of the stuff you want to listen to and you can upload it to the radio. Win500, the programming software, will let you have unlimited use for 30 days.

If money is not an issue, the Uniden Home Patrol will probably be easiest for you to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.