What kind of scanner should I get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcillwain

Hello. I guess i'm what you call old school. my scanner's of coarse started out with crystals back in the 70's. i haven't taking the jump into the newer scanners yet, but it looks like i'm almost being forced into to one, because of all the new freq.! the whole thing seems complicated to me ie, trucking and so on...... all my scanners are direct entry style. I've always used Radio Shack scanners. can anyone recommend what kind of scanner i should move up to, so I can listen everything again. I'm in Henderson Nevada. thanks for any help.. Gary

sjlamb

At the present time, most comms in the metro Las Vegas and Henderson area appear to be analog voice as opposed to digital. Your County has in place an 800 mHz. trunked radio system that also operates in analog voice: Clark County - Southern Nevada Area Communications Council (SNACC) Trunking System, Clark County, Nevada - Scanner Frequencies Much of the public Service comms in your area take place on this system, although some agencies still make use of the older conventional analog voice channels show on this page of the RR Database: Clark County, Nevada (NV) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Given the above information, your area can be monitored with any analog trunking scanner; although it would be recommended that you consider at least the most current "Triple Trunking" type models.

Keep in mind, however, that there is a major movement by many agencies to the more sophisticated DIGITAL trunked radio systems and, monitoring of those systems requires the more expensive digital models. Your area, at least currently, does not show much (if any) digital comms in the Las Vegas Metro/Henderson area but, that is always subject to change. There is also a note in the RR Database that a rumor is swirling about that "LVMPD may soon be switching to an OpenSky Trunked Radio System which is currently not monitorable with a scanner". If true, there isn't anything you can do about the fact other than accept it and monitor everything but LVMPD.

mcillwain

Wow!

Thanks Steve for all the great infomation. sure is a lot to take in. I'm so use to my direct entry scanner and it's so simple. thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.