What kind of scanner to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdoot

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a Radio Shack Pro 82 scanner and I can't get anything good on it. I was told on here that I need to get a digital scanner for the area that I live in. They suggested a Pro 96. I am not particular on brand so I was wondering if there is a good Uniden or other digital scanner around $350 or less that you can recommend. I want to listen to police and ambulance mostly and some air/military. Thanks for any info you can give.

captclint

Mentor
nicdoot said:
I was told on here that I need to get a digital scanner for the area that I live in. They suggested a Pro 96.
To properly advise you, we need the county, city and State for which you wish to listen...if you think you can receive some other counties, that may make a difference, so let us know. Typically, all digital scanners are $500 or more. You might find Pro96 on ebay for a little less, especially if you were willing to get a used one. Same is true for the older Uniden's, but really need to see if they will work in your area. Here's a list of scanners: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners
I'm traveling today, so let us know, and others will jump in tomorrow.
Edit: Ok, I see from your other posts, you are in Fairfax, VA. I've got to sign off, but this should help others to advise. Also, you did not say if you needed a portable or base unit.

Last edited:

johnnystuyv

Same Question Here

Do I really need a Digital scanner? Or will the BCT-15 do ?

I live in Beach Lake, PA (wayne county)

Thanks in advance !

nicdoot

area I live in

I live in Fairfax County in Fairfax, VA. It covers quite a large area. If a digital got more counties than that I would be pretty amazed and it would be great! Thanks for your help and guidance.

nicdoot

digital scanner

I would prefer a handheld one. Just a personal preference. I found the website you listed with the areas that is covered so that is great. Just trying to figure out which scanner to get. I definitely need one that specifies "digital" and "trunking" right?

eng2trk

nicdoot said:
I would prefer a handheld one. Just a personal preference. I found the website you listed with the areas that is covered so that is great. Just trying to figure out which scanner to get. I definitely need one that specifies "digital" and "trunking" right?

yes digital and trunking - lots of digital here in DC area

actually sitting here listening to my new BCD396t right now

i love it but it's a lot of money - main fire disp is still avl on 460.575

nicdoot

Radio Shack Pro 82

I wish I had known before the 30 days was up about the digital trunking on my Pro 82, which has none. Now I can't return it but can maybe exchange it or a store credit.

captclint

Mentor
nicdoot said:
I wish I had known before the 30 days was up about the digital trunking on my Pro 82, which has none. Now I can't return it but can maybe exchange it or a store credit.
Obviously, you need to find out your options here, since a credit towards a Pro-96 has to be your cheaper option. If no credit, then you are limited to Pro-96 on Ebay, BCD396T (check the like-new price), BC296D, and PSR-500. Pro-96 should fill you needs at the lowest price, but you might find the 296 cheaper on Ebay. I think consensus is that the PSR-500 handles digital a little bit better than the others. I have no digital in my area, so you need to read the various forums(uniden, RS, and GRE) to make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.