What kind of system is Taos, NM on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleverin

Am going down to Taos for a couple of days, was thinking about carrying my scanner with me but looking at the database, looks like that area is still on analog FM. Can put in DTRS site right up to the Raton area but just wondering, is Taos still on FM? Doesn't matter using the Pro 96 I have both programmed in there right now just wondering how true those frequencies are. Also found a couple of ham repeaters in that area, how easy is it to access them with just a 5w handheld.? I have no problem around here but just wondering how easy it is to talk to people down there. If anyone know email me, just wanted to know what to input....

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I don't have alot of info, but I have the Radio Reference frequencies listed for Taos programmed in and can hear them from Los Alamos when I'm mobile up there. The RR freqs with the pl tones listed are the ones I've heard, the others I haven't... if you hear any traffic, try to snag the tones too.
Have a great trip and good listening.
I think the ski areas are opening up this weekend.

jleverin

Thanks, went down there for a couple of days this week but didn't even get the chance to break out the radios. Took them with me but was so busy didn't get to try them out, will keep that for future reference. Mostly just take the HT with me for possible emergency comms if necessary, say cell phones aren't working or something...I wonder if they have problems with getting signals out because of the location. They are located in that mountain valley with mountains all around, will test it out next time I get down that way....really nice country.....

nmbobcat

I spend a fair amount of time in the mountains northeast of Taos. The "Enchanted Circle" (towns of Taos, Angel fire, Eagle Next, Red River, and Questa) have a mutual aide agreement. So there is some repeater coverage in both the VHF and UHF Public Safety band that tie them all together with the dispatch and E-911 moving around from town to town. If you are back in the area again send me a private email and I can provide some frequencies. I'm using Butel SW so let me know if you need CSV files.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.