What Kind of system would you pick?

what Band would you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was looking into a LTR Passport Statewide system that has rentals per radio @ $20.00 a radio,
I figured with 18 portables and 5 mobiles @ $20.00 a month, it would be $5520 a year, which isn't bad in my opinion.
That would give us 1 talk group and also unlimited minutes and acsess to the system which is LTR Passport.
Another member and i just talked about a CAD system, and he told me that we should use a mobile for dispatching and we can find a Dispatching computer system to install on a desktop were we could assign job numbers and units on the job ect.

We are trying to be as cost efficant as possible right now, and it looks like this would be the most cost efficant way.

rabidjade

This whole thing sounds a lot like a CERT group. Maybe you should check into that angle.

CDS-INC

Banned
This whole thing sounds a lot like a CERT group. Maybe you should check into that angle.

Do you have any links or websites for CERT Groups that i can reference from?

I looked into the CERT Programs, they are just below the line of what i want to offer.
I would like to have my own equipement and vehicles to respond to major incidents and also do the security patrol aspect of the organization and monitor communications.
I am not sure if these objectives can be completed through a CERT group?

any information about CERT Programs can and will help greatly

Last edited:

rabidjade

http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

There is a the homepage for them. I would honestly look into joining up with another "disaster" service or public safety auxilary in your area (NYC, NY?) instead of creating a new one. To keep from derailing the thread more, I'll leave it at that.

CDS-INC

Banned
http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

There is a the homepage for them. I would honestly look into joining up with another "disaster" service or public safety auxilary in your area (NYC, NY?) instead of creating a new one. To keep from derailing the thread more, I'll leave it at that.

I live in buffalo, we have no Aux Police Service, What would it take to do something like that?

I've looked into the VIPS Organization (Volunteers in Police Service),
I am interested to know if i can do something like this and incorperate the Emergency Services Unit into that, and work with my local police department.

Last edited:

rabidjade

I live in buffalo, we have no Aux Police Service, What would it take to do something like that?

I've looked into the VIPS Organization (Volunteers in Police Service),
I am interested to know if i can do something like this and incorperate the Emergency Services Unit into that, and work with my local police department.

Since you asked the question, IMHO you have two ways you can go. You can stick with the police auxiliary/security aspect OR you can go for the rescue/EMS aspect. At this point in you planning I would pick one or the other and ride with it. Picking a specialty will let you stand out from the rest and keep you from being spread too thin to be noticed.

Honestly I would start back at square one and pick what direction you want to go in. Let the radio communication and equipment issue come to you rather than chasing equipment down BEFORE you have the reason to use it. It seems this is still a "plan" with some research.

If I were you, I get with a lawyer and start looking at starting a corporation or LLC for some type to backing to the name you chose. After that look at going the non-profit route and pricing liability insurance. Without the insurance or verifiable name, the real public safety departments will refuse your help in most cases. I would contact someone from your state CERT organization and ask them about membership and requirements. Then I would contact one of the larger security companies in your area and contract them to do the event/scene security for you. They can be cheaper than training, organizing, and certifying your own. This will also keep the heat off of you and your insurance if they go overboard or perform overzealous actions.

After that is all done, I would start looking at equipment including communications stuff. Also develop contacts in ALL of the public safety agencies in your area. They may have tips, pointers, or even hints at what kind of business your club may get. Also get away from saying "my" equipment since it makes it sound like a power trip coming from a volunteer organization organizer. It should be "our" equipment or "the agency’s/club's" equipment.

CDS-INC

Banned
Since you asked the question, IMHO you have two ways you can go. You can stick with the police auxiliary/security aspect OR you can go for the rescue/EMS aspect. At this point in you planning I would pick one or the other and ride with it. Picking a specialty will let you stand out from the rest and keep you from being spread too thin to be noticed.

Honestly I would start back at square one and pick what direction you want to go in. Let the radio communication and equipment issue come to you rather than chasing equipment down BEFORE you have the reason to use it. It seems this is still a "plan" with some research.

If I were you, I get with a lawyer and start looking at starting a corporation or LLC for some type to backing to the name you chose. After that look at going the non-profit route and pricing liability insurance. Without the insurance or verifiable name, the real public safety departments will refuse your help in most cases. I would contact someone from your state CERT organization and ask them about membership and requirements. Then I would contact one of the larger security companies in your area and contract them to do the event/scene security for you. They can be cheaper than training, organizing, and certifying your own. This will also keep the heat off of you and your insurance if they go overboard or perform overzealous actions.

After that is all done, I would start looking at equipment including communications stuff. Also develop contacts in ALL of the public safety agencies in your area. They may have tips, pointers, or even hints at what kind of business your club may get. Also get away from saying "my" equipment since it makes it sound like a power trip coming from a volunteer organization organizer. It should be "our" equipment or "the agency’s/club's" equipment.

Thank you very much for your information,
I must admit, i sometimes put the carrage infront of the horse and i get to far ahead of myself,
I would like to try for the Police Aspect of it.
As i was saying, i was looking at the VIPS (Policevolunteers.org) and thinking of trying to incorperate something like that in my local police department here in buffalo.
I am going to contact my local police department tomorrow and see if they would be interested in sponsoring such a program.
I know that we have an Emergency Services Unit for the full time on duty officers, and they deal with specialized Emergencies and Mutual Aid Response, So i was thinking about down the line incorperating a Volunteer Emergency Services Unit that is affiliated with the VIPS Program.

I am not sure if this will happen, as i said, it is just a bunch of ideas myself and a few friends have.

K8TEK

Banned
Commander Lige Turner, is that you?

slicerwizard

I must admit, i (sic) sometimes put the carrage (sic) infront (sic) of the horse and i (sic) get to (sic) far ahead of myself,

Commander Lige Turner, is that you?
No, he doesn't write as badly as the venerable commander:

Nice Looking Web-Site we are Thinking Of Seting up a Local React Team Here in Kansas City you have giving some Ideals on How we cn set up our Web Site whin we Become a React Team we are still working on geting Members but we Think we may have 5 People who wount to join right Now We will Combine ( NEAR TEAM ) and (React)In to One Organizations We will be A Radio Communication Organization and A Surch & Rescue we are now have Two Members who are ( CERT )Training officer and so far One Ham and Two GMRS Radio Operaters 73 To you All Lige Turner Commander NEAR TEAM

Lige Turner Commander NEAR TEAM <Nearteam@yahoo.com>
Kansas City, Mo USA

slicerwizard

I was looking into a LTR Passport Statewide system
There is no such thing as LTR Passport. It's "PassPort".

that has rentals per radio @ $20.00 a radio,
I figured with 18 portables and 5 mobiles @ $20.00 a month, it would be $5520 a year, which isn't bad in my opinion.
You better check those prices. The $20 monthly airtime fee may not include everything. The vendor may have access and maintenance fees that aren't mentioned on their website. And of course there will be taxes on all of it. You may find that the total is closer to $30 per month.

Whatever the final price is, you're stuck with it. There is no way you're building your own system. And you can forget about indoor coverage. Even outdoor coverage with portables is going to be, uh, interesting. I hope you're budgeting for some vehicle antennas for those portables (unless you're planning on not using them while mobile).

Another member and i just talked about a CAD system, and he told me that we should use a mobile for dispatching and we can find a Dispatching computer system to install on a desktop were we could assign job numbers and units on the job ect.
You sure as hell better be using a mobile! Your portables aren't going to work in your command shack. And for software, just how complicated can it be if all it does is assign job numbers and units?

CDS-INC

Banned
i just got this VIPS Catalog today in the mail. I am going to bring it down to my local police department and see what they say.
My spelling gets bad, I am suspose to wear glasses but i never do, and i dont do contacts, i am not apt to sticking things in my eyes, and i am usually typing in the dark.

But as far as the radio system goes,

We have secured atleast $25,000 for now from a private grant.
So when i get some time i am going to call the radio shop who offers the Passport System Rental and see what other prices are included?

I thought LTR was LTR Passport?

swstow

Premium Subscriber
CDS-INC if i understand you corectly your trying to start something between a cert program, private security, and search and rescue ( if im wrong im sorry ), i was in public safety for 10 years, law enforcement,cert tranniner, AED and CPR, dont get me wrong i think it a great idea to get involved and do the right thing
but i think you my have the best luck going to the county level ( office of emergency managment ) they are all ways looking for people ( groups ) to help in the case of a distaster and can offer some tranning at no cost due to homeland security grants

and yes craw before you walk,get all legal stuff done first
radios will come in time

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I believe that the that state/county/cities/towns/villages/districts already offer these services at taxpayers cost...

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Forget about fire/EMS/rescue, as its already taken care of by the fire district and/or local ambulance corps in the area...

Forget about policing...thats, well..taken care of by the police...

If you want to provide onsite fire/ems/security services to businesses (think warehousing/large manufacturing establishments) then your going to need a bunch of capital to get that rolling.

So in short, you need to start your own commerical EMS or security company. What you have outlined does not fit with the public safety world.

There are way too many variables in what you have asked.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'm certainly not detecting the usual 'whacker' mentality here. I really think you should look into a local consultant who knows the radio environment in your area. You may be able to find someone willing to donate the time. Above all else, I'd have a VERY firm plan, and license in hand, before I'd spend one penny on the actual radios.

After reading how this thread has developed, I'm having second thoughts about my previous statement. It's ok... I've been wrong before. *shrug*

To the OP... Have you actually discussed your plans with local public safety agencies to determine if this embryonic organization of yours is even needed or wanted? Have THEY determined that there's a need? There is an overabundance of "organizations" that dabble in pseudo public safety, and in most areas, there's no room for another. These groups are high on enthusiasm, and low on common sense. Make sure there's going to be a need for your services before you go too much further, lest you become just another whacker group getting in the way. IMO, many of these groups are just an excuse to play with radios. A ham club is frequently what's REALLY needed.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
However ARES/RACES do not provide fire, law enforcement or EMS functions...although many members think they can.

Bill_White

I agree...
You said it best...

I believe that the that state/county/cities/towns/villages/districts already offer these services at taxpayers cost...

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Forget about fire/EMS/rescue, as its already taken care of by the fire district and/or local ambulance corps in the area...

Forget about policing...thats, well..taken care of by the police...

If you want to provide onsite fire/ems/security services to businesses (think warehousing/large manufacturing establishments) then your going to need a bunch of capital to get that rolling.

So in short, you need to start your own commerical EMS or security company. What you have outlined does not fit with the public safety world.

There are way too many variables in what you have asked.

Sounds, to me, like a solution looking for a problem.
I was thinking an ARES/RACES group would be better accepted.
Instead of starting an unknown service and expecting the local authorities to welcome you with open arms.

CDS-INC

Banned
I agree...
You said it best...

Sounds, to me, like a solution looking for a problem.
I was thinking an ARES/RACES group would be better accepted.
Instead of starting an unknown service and expecting the local authorities to welcome you with open arms.

Were not expecting anything as of right now, this is a "Project", while i do see your point of view of "whackers" or whatever the term is that is used, We would be highly trained and certified, we are not just going to "pretend" to be able to do this type of work, this is going to be much like a vol rescue service,
We have had conversations with many of the local fire departments and ambulance services and police departments, and the result was that they expressed that they were way understaffed and do not see anyone new coming in abundance anytime soon.

Our goal is not to interfer with emergency services, it is to provide them at the time of mutual aid need,
No matter what we are still going to try to go through with this, The worst we can get is a "No"

Status
Not open for further replies.