What made you decide between 436/536?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm still trying to determine which model to go for. I really like the portable ability of the 436, but the 536 really appeals to me.

What made you guys choose between them?

nategb

Premium Subscriber
I can carry the 436 anywhere I want. It is $100 cheaper. It has built in battery backup for when the power goes out. The argument could also be made that the 536 can make your smart phone an ultra portable radio and even more discrete, but the app is not available yet and the app's reliability and usability have yet to be tested.

mancow

Database Admin
I can carry the 436 anywhere I want. It is $100 cheaper. It has built in battery backup for when the power goes out. The argument could also be made that the 536 can make your smart phone an ultra portable radio and even more discrete, but the app is not available yet and the app's reliability and usability have yet to be tested.

this

SDavis90

I went with the 436. My reason is portability. I travel light. I can put the 436 in my backpack or overnight bag, and when I get where I'm staying I can listen to what's around me. This was my reason between the two. I have an HP1 for around the house and finding new IDs and freqs.

kwd57

Hey guys, I'm still trying to determine which model to go for. I really like the portable ability of the 436, but the 536 really appeals to me.

What made you guys choose between them?

I can't seem to choose, so I think I will get one of each. I talked to a nearby HRO today and if they get them in tomorrow, I will go and get the 536 first.

Yea, I think I agree with you guys. I wish I could buy both, but I think I'll stick to the 436. I want to be able to go anywhere and tune in to what's going on. Now I just have to wait for it to be available!

mciupa

Database Admin
No choice but the 536 after I sold the 996XT to raise cash for the 536. :)

I like having a base model at home and the empty space on the shelf is now bugging me.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I like to listen in my truck while driving. I very rarely need the use of a portable. The only time I do is when I am rail-fanning and I can use my 125AT.

brennank

I got the 536 because it is going in a DIN sleeve in my truck. A 436 would look awfully strange hanging out of the dash.
I would like to get a 436 for on the go scanning as well.

safetyobc

If you have wifi and a smartphone, I would say go with the 536 based only on the fact that you will (when the siren app is released) be able to control/listen to your scanner on your phone or tablet. So having a scanner with you at all times listening to what you want to listen to could be accomplished with the 536. However, if you don't have WiFi and a/or a smartphone and wouldn't use that feature, go with the 436.

whsbuss

If you have wifi and a smartphone, I would say go with the 536 based only on the fact that you will (when the siren app is released) be able to control/listen to your scanner on your phone or tablet. So having a scanner with you at all times listening to what you want to listen to could be accomplished with the 536. However, if you don't have WiFi and a/or a smartphone and wouldn't use that feature, go with the 436.

Sounds good but we don't yet know how the app works and what battery demands it places on your smartphone. Personally I'm waiting till the app is released and reading all the reviews before I choose what radio to purchase.

SCPD

QRT
No choice but the 536 after I sold the 996XT to raise cash for the 536. :)

I like having a base model at home and the empty space on the shelf is now bugging me.

What he said. I sold my hp1 for the 536 and now I'm running my bc350a while waiting.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Went with the 436 because I travel to and from Tucson regularly and wanted a digital radio that I could carry with me. Plus it's $100 cheaper.

That 536 is looking pretty sweet though. Depending on the outcome of a couple of projects I have brewing, I may have some extra spending money coming in next month. If so I might just have to go out and get a 536 to go with the hand held. ;)

-AZ

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Eventually I'm hoping to get one of each. I've got a 536 on the way. I figure that with the Siren app being what it will be, I can monitor my "home" systems with that even while I'm out and about locally. When I travel I'll probably swap out the 996XT in my vehicle to have something to listen to while on the road.

However, I'll still be in a lurch once I reach my destination as I'd rather not remove the scanner from my vehicle (and I can't leave the scanner turned on in the vehicle along with the Siren app use). So that's why eventually I'm thinking about the 436, until then I'll have to make do with my 396XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.