What Magazines do you subscribe to ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

Hi all,

Years ago, I used to subscribe to Popular Communications and it was pretty good. I don't see it any more on the news stands. Is it still around ??? What other magazines are devoted to "scanning" ???

RON

KC0QNB

MRT (mobile radio technology), ARC news (gis stuff), Remote Site & Equipment (systems for remote locations)
Used to get QST then I ran out of money.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Used to get QST then I ran out of money.
I became an ARRL Life Member a few years ago. The dues were about to go up and they were offering life memberships based on the old dues rate, so I jumped on it. I'll never have to write an ARRL dues check again. The price of an ARRL Life Membership is always a multiple (25x) of the current annual dues. And they offer a time payment plan, so you can spread out the cost of a life membership over 8 quarterly payments. But, enough of the ARRL advertisement. :)

I subscribe to CQ, CQ VHF, and Mobile Radio Technology in addition to getting QST through my ARRL membership. I pick up Monitoring Times or PopComm at the newstand when there's an article of interest.

k8tmk

I get QST, Popular Communications, Electronic Design, and Radio World (a broadcast engineer publ). Used to get 73, HR, Monitoring Times, and others.

Randy

af5rn

None anymore, they have changed over the years.
A bunch of us recently had a similar discussion on a paramedic forum. A lot of veterans also said that they haven't subscribed to any trade journals in years, because the magazines had changed. After much thought and discussion, most of us concluded that the magazines hadn't really changed. It was us, the readers, who had changed. After years in the field, we simply weren't excited by the same stuff we were as rookies. Nor did we have the same need to know as experienced veterans that we had as rookies.

I can't help but wonder if the same thing might not apply here.

Highpockets

A bunch of us recently had a similar discussion on a paramedic forum. A lot of veterans also said that they haven't subscribed to any trade journals in years, because the magazines had changed. After much thought and discussion, most of us concluded that the magazines hadn't really changed. It was us, the readers, who had changed. After years in the field, we simply weren't excited by the same stuff we were as rookies. Nor did we have the same need to know as experienced veterans that we had as rookies.

I can't help but wonder if the same thing might not apply here.

Wow! That's heavy. I have no idea where I fit in there. I guess I'll have to give that some thought. :)

trace1

Back when I first really got into scanning I was getting both Popular Communications and Monitoring Times. It has been quite a few years since I've looked at one, picked it up at a book store several years ago.

Right now the only one I get by subscription is QST but I just may have to get me a subscription again to one or both of those other ones I mentioned. Anyone want to send me a gift subscription? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.