What Method is Better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

Hey Guys, I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro-97. From what I gather there are a few different ways to program it. So, that brings me to my question, I belive I would be able to do the following...

1. Program a site control channel to hear everything on that site ?
2. Program individual Talkgroup IDs ?
3. Program the individual frequencies ? ( Conventional \ Trunked )

Or maybe I have just completley missed the boat all together..

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me, any help is greatly aprpecaited. Thanks again guys...

eyes00only

The answer is; "Whatev"........lol......,but I do mine in 'banks' of my priorites, ie, ALL CALLS; EOC; FD,EMS,PD, in MY area , etc. I'm a TV addict, so in the house I just scan my SUPER RARE, NEVER CONFIRMED, and ALL CALL bank. It's really YOUR choice, and what makes the hobby interesting. So I guess my answer would be 2 & 3 combined.

JK :cool:

jellotor

_DeS_ said:
Hey Guys, I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro-97. From what I gather there are a few different ways to program it. So, that brings me to my question, I belive I would be able to do the following...

1. Program a site control channel to hear everything on that site ?
2. Program individual Talkgroup IDs ?
3. Program the individual frequencies ? ( Conventional \ Trunked )

Or maybe I have just completley missed the boat all together..

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me, any help is greatly aprpecaited. Thanks again guys...

Here's my best guess...

1. This method will work if you are just beginning to listen to a system OR you want to hear all the traffic. On some public safety systems you're going to hear the PS, FD, dogcatcher, parks people, works crews and parking enforcement...that's a lot of traffic to weed your way through.

2. This is my preferred way to program a system but I only really know what to program after some time listening. In other words, some times after programming a system I have to tweak my scanlists to get the right talkgroups in the right order.

3. I only listen to conventional frequencies in this manner.

_DeS_

Hey guys,
Thank you for the replies & Suggestions. I think im going to just go with the Talkgroup IDs, in order to keep it pretty and easy lol.

Just a quick question, If I was to use the control channel method, that means I would hear EVERYTHING on that specific site, correct ? now with that said, with the model scanner I will be using, a RadioShack pro-97, if I was using the control channell method, would that scanner show me the individual talkgorups when it snags a transsmisson on the control channel, leaving me in turn to sort out what it would be ?

Any help is appreciated, thanks again...

jellotor

_DeS_ said:
Hey guys,
Thank you for the replies & Suggestions. I think im going to just go with the Talkgroup IDs, in order to keep it pretty and easy lol.

Just a quick question, If I was to use the control channel method, that means I would hear EVERYTHING on that specific site, correct ? now with that said, with the model scanner I will be using, a RadioShack pro-97, if I was using the control channell method, would that scanner show me the individual talkgorups when it snags a transsmisson on the control channel, leaving me in turn to sort out what it would be ?

Any help is appreciated, thanks again...

Well, technically speaking, just listening to the trunked system in SEARCH mode (I think it's called open mode on RS scanners) doesn't mean you'll hear everything on that site. You'll have a better chance of hearing everything, but the scanner will stop on the first transmission it comes across and I-Calls may or may not be monitored.

If you listen in this manner yes, you will see talkgroup numbers pop up and if you are listening to a system that isn't already happily mapped out here on RR.com for you in terms of what talkgroups are which agency, you will have to sort everything out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.