• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Mic is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamVal

I am a complete newb here.
I found an SBE-11CB Trinidad yesterday with an unknown microphone.
IMGP4958.JPG
At first I thought this looked like a Motorola logo, but not quite right
IMGP4957.JPG
Did some research and might be a Turner +2 with the 9v battery connector, but it does not have the switch (impedance?) on the bottom:
IMGP4959.JPG
The SBE-11CB appears to be very clean, but haven't tried it out yet, other than it powers up.
IMGP4961.JPG
It has the 'type 2' board inside, but there is no shield over the board as I have seen in nude photos of other units like this, so maybe it's been worked on.

RFI-EMI-GUY

That is a Turner Plus 2 microphone with a Midland badge. Popular in the 70's. The mobile version, also blue was the M Plus 2.

The base mike was usually powered with a 9V battery while the mobile mike had some cylindrical battery in the >9 volt range

I had the Turner mike on my Cobra CAM88 A little too "Hot"

I replaced it with a D-104. Crystal Clear!

cmdrwill

The +2 mic is still a great mic.
I had the Turner mobile all metal mic with the hang-up stud on the face. Great mic in the wayback machine days..60's.

" a little hot" there is an App for that.. attenuater.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I had a Lafayette Comstat 25A with the +2 desk mike, the modulation bulb was flashing red all the time.

I also had some weird linear amplifier "Lincoln Linear" that I found, commercially make, never saw another one like it.

1970's Good times! I heard Johnny Cash talking skip (The Mountain Man) from his villa in the "hills of Jamaica" once.

JamVal

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I can see this is a friendly community.

I'm not sure if the Turner +2 mic works. I connected it to the SBE-11CB base station and when I key the mic I can hear the base station relay clicking, but that doesn't mean the mic works. There is an occasional flicker of the MOD light on some channels. I tried the PA mode on the base station, but nothing from the on board speaker. I assume that an external PA speaker is required? Of course I don't know if the SBE-11CB works either. Like I said, I'm a complete newb. My neighbor is a communications tech, and offered to let me use his watt meter.

My only background in communications goes back to my Navy days 1969-73. I was a CT-R (Communications Technician - Collection). Sounds technical, but all I did was intercept CW intel tethered to a pair of Collins R390A's. Same job that Johnny Cash did when he was in the Air Force.

DJ11DLN

You will have to have a speaker plugged in...I never encountered a CB that would output PA audio through the internal speaker. It would kind of defeat the purpose of a "Public Address" function, LOL.

Good luck with the Plus 2...I always wanted one when I messed with CB's but ended up with a D104 for about half the money and I was well pleased with the "Popsicle" or "Chicken Choker" mic as many called them.

TheWiley1

I just exhumed a Turner JM+3 from the graveyard in my basement. Hasn't been keyed up since 1977.
The cover around the little battery had turned to dust, exposing what is really inside: five #675 hearing aid cells.

The voltage of the battery is supposed to be 7V. I believe they are zinc-air cells at 1.4v each, so, that does add up to 7.0 volts.

I read in another forum that a 9v alkaline battery would work just as well and probably last longer, but it won't fit inside the mic housing.

I'd rather not heat up an iron and try to solder 5 pills together.

Does anybody know of 7-9v battery that will fit in the same space as the original Turner (Frankenstein) battery?

RFI-EMI-GUY

The schematic is in the thread below.

The mike is positive ground which is odd and eliminates the possibility of charging it from the radio. You could use two small 3.7V lithium rechargeable batteries like found in small toy drones. Or if they are truly zinc air in the original, use ZA hearing aid batteries stacked inside a plastic tubing like PEX or poly. You can use a spring to force them together and avoid soldering.

FPR1981

I own the SBE Trinidad base. In fact, it is my primary radio. It has incredible, full, loud and clean modulation. it also has a receive unlike any radio I've ever owned.

Distant stations come in clearly. The meter works perfectly. I love my Trinidad.

GadgetGeek

The battery for the old Turner handheld power mics was 7 volts. You can use a Duracell 175 battery as a replacement.

This is what I use in my Turner JM+3.

Status
Not open for further replies.