PSR500/PSR600: What minimum safe rated size 12 VDC inverter to 110VAC AC wattage do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I want to use my GRE PSR 600 scanner mobile using my car's 12VDC system. What is the minimum recommended DC to AC inverter rated wattage size must I buy to power my PSR600 using 110VAC safely? Tnx.

John:)
W4UVV

Last edited:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Run it direct off of 12 volts. According to the product description, it came with a DC cable. If you insist on using a inverter (noisy and not efficient), then just about any size will do.

DJ11DLN

If you don't have the cable you can order it from Whistler. Any of the base Mobile scanner cables will work. The plug is kind of odd and hard to find which is why I recommend you order it from Whistler. It will run on 11 to 15 volts very happily no need for an inverter.

W4UVV

R8000,

I finally concluded to do that. Either choice will require having to deal with selecting a proper amped fuse block connection by forcing a friction fit of the power cable/fuse socket. I will not do a direct power line routing to the battery thru the firewall...too often a dead battery resulted from forgetting to turn off the radio. Regarding the 12VDC power cable for mobile installation, I did not get one. When I bought this scanner new years ago there were two AC to DC power supplies both using the non-typical DC male center pin.shield connection. Additionally, one was a DELL power supply and the printed specs label was 19.5 VDC OUTPUT!. I checked it with my multi-meter and thankfully it was 13.5VDC. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

DJ11DLN

Your fuse block should have an accessory terminal that is only powered with the key on. The inline barrel fuse in the harness is 2A, I'm sure the accessory terminal ought to provide that without breaking a sweat.

W4UVV

If you don't have the cable you can order it from Whistler. Any of the base Mobile scanner cables will work. The plug is kind of odd and hard to find which is why I recommend you order it from Whistler. It will run on 11 to 15 volts very happily no need for an inverter.

DJ11DLN:

I've done it both ways. I have used a 500 watt inverter in one of my cars for monitoring vhf/uhf scanning. For years I have used two commercial cable tv RF preamps (vhf and uhf) as RF inputs when mobile to my roof mounted separate vhf and uhf mag mounted antennas. I want the strongest RF input signals I can get to my digital scanners. Either way there has to be a fuse block interface effort. I know the drill well. I'll wait until the weather improves. I hate cold weather! Tnx.

John
W4UVV

DJ11DLN

DJ11DLN:

I've done it both ways. I have used a 500 watt inverter in one of my cars for monitoring vhf/uhf scanning. For years I have used two commercial cable tv RF preamps (vhf and uhf) as RF inputs when mobile to my roof mounted separate vhf and uhf mag mounted antennas. I want the strongest RF input signals I can get to my digital scanners. Either way there has to be a fuse block interface effort. I know the drill well. I'll wait until the weather improves. I hate cold weather! Tnx.

John
W4UVV
Just trying to be helpful. A lot of TV/cable amps also run on 12VDC, I know the ones I use on my OTA system do. I'm not using a preamp on any of my scanners, pretty good coverage on the statewide TSYS here. I have a Pro-197, a WS-1095, and a WS-1098 at home, I actually piggybacked all 3 mobile cables into one lighter plug and when my power goes off I can run all three from a HFT jumper pack for many hours. The point I'm making with all of this is that the load isn't a large one. You could easily piggyback onto a power port, either with a plug or going direct to the wiring, and all would most likely be fine. And many vehicles de-power these ports when the key is off so that solves the battery drain problem. Of course using an inverter, you need a way to de-power that as well, as they will draw current whether you are using them or not. I've been down that road too, both with my own vehicles and eliminating generators on fire apparatus. Vehicular installs can be a lot of fun.:cool:

Very much agree in re the cold weather!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
You could just buy the proper 12 volt power cord and use the power outlet or cigratte lighter plug if there is one.

W4UVV

Just trying to be helpful. A lot of TV/cable amps also run on 12VDC, I know the ones I use on my OTA system do. I'm not using a preamp on any of my scanners, pretty good coverage on the statewide TSYS here. I have a Pro-197, a WS-1095, and a WS-1098 at home, I actually piggybacked all 3 mobile cables into one lighter plug and when my power goes off I can run all three from a HFT jumper pack for many hours. The point I'm making with all of this is that the load isn't a large one. You could easily piggyback onto a power port, either with a plug or going direct to the wiring, and all would most likely be fine. And many vehicles de-power these ports when the key is off so that solves the battery drain problem. Of course using an inverter, you need a way to de-power that as well, as they will draw current whether you are using them or not. I've been down that road too, both with my own vehicles and eliminating generators on fire apparatus. Vehicular installs can be a lot of fun.:cool:

Very much agree in re the cold weather!

Sorry but I don't look forward to any vehicle installs of anything. To access the fuse block I have to lay on my side or back and have a flashlight. I'll probably use one of the several easier options, i.e., in line tapping into another 12VDC line for an existing previously added electronics. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

W4UVV

You could just buy the proper 12 volt power cord and use the power outlet or cigratte lighter plug if there is one.

Yeah that a good idea too. I presently use it with a multiple sockets configuration to charge my older GPS receiver, laptop and GPS "Puck" GPS Earthmate receiver. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare 12VDC socket. I hate to piggy back another three socket combo but that might be the easiest grief free solution. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You have to be careful these days when messing with your vehicle's electrical system. If you screw up you could blow the vehicle's computer network and you'd be in for a very expensive repair bill! :LOL:

No it didn't happen to me but a friend fried his Chrysler SUV 's network...it was sad.

W4UVV

You have to be careful these days when messing with your vehicle's electrical system. If you screw up you could blow the vehicle's computer network and you'd be in for a very expensive repair bill! :LOL:

No it didn't happen to me but a friend fried his Chrysler SUV 's network...it was sad.

IMONITOR,

What you say? I ain't got one of them there computaters in my 1985 Dodge Caravan. I need to contact Chryslur and demand they send me a new computater. I didn't get with it when I bought in 1984. I don't want no used one. The car only has 185,000 miles on it. I am a victim! I was cheated!

John:mad:
W4UVV

DJ11DLN

Yeah I meant "fun" in the sarcastic context. It was a lot less "fun" 30 years ago when I was still pretty flexible.:cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.