What mobile scanner do I need for MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I have been helping k9 get his 996 set up. Without a GPS, the 996 only does site to site trunking. If a GPS was in use, I can surely see it's benefit.

Without a GPS in use, the user has to turn sites on and off as they move about.

My 396T has every control channel in MARCS programmed in as one system. I have all of the OSP talkgroups in group 1. I have locked out the posts I am not near and dont really want to hear, unless I am travelling.

My 396 scans the CC freqs. and locks on what it finds, which is the closest site. As MDulrich pointed out, "it locks on the first CC it finds." Well, yeah, and that is in my case, the closest site. As I move about, it loses the data and finds the next strongest CC data, and what I call "auto-affiliates" itself with the new-stronger CC. I know its not a "2-way radio" But it finds the CC's and locks onto them. If I know Im heading north on 75 from Dayton, I can unlock all the TG's from Lima north and hear them. I can do this ahead of time and not have to constantly switch from site to site.

This is what we wanted to accomplish with k9's 996, since he isnt going to use GPS on it. We finally got it set up that way and it is working well for him. He doesnt have to touch a button from the time he leaves his home in western Ohio and drives to work in central ohio.

I told k9 when I met him, we could get 10 experts in scanning around your dinner table and they all could have a different way of doing this.....they can all be right....they can all be wrong. k9 already has more radio equip, mdt and other stuff in his cruiser. Not having to change sites is something that appealed to him and that's what we are going with.

One of the first things I told k9, was how incredible it is that the designer of the scanner has kept in constant contact in helping him with this. I know you hear it a lot UPman, but I am always impressed at how much time you give on this site helping people. That really sets you and Uniden way apart from RS, or any other scanner out there.

My 396 is with me EVERYWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.