what models scanners have "instant replay"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oligranate

I call that feature "instant replay" because I'm not sure what the right term is, therefore I cannot do a decent search for such scanner. The feature I am describing is similar to the one that Tivo has: you are watching live broadcast, you miss something and rewind a few seconds back to see it again. So my questions are what is this feature called when applied to scanners and which models scanners have it?
thanks

bezking

I don't believe that feature exists. However, some of the Icom receivers have a recording function, but you actually have to tell it to start recording the segment you want repeated.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I call that feature "instant replay" because I'm not sure what the right term is, therefore I cannot do a decent search for such scanner. The feature I am describing is similar to the one that Tivo has: you are watching live broadcast, you miss something and rewind a few seconds back to see it again. So my questions are what is this feature called when applied to scanners and which models scanners have it?
thanks

This is really very simple! Just plug a cassette recorder equipped with vox into the aux.or headphone jack with a patch cord and hit record. :wink:
n9zas

K7CAR

I run ProScan software, so everything I listen to is Tivo if I remember to turn it on. That can be done so easily with software, but would be a nice feature. Memory is so cheap now days that an audio buffer could be incorporated without too much difficulty I would think.

I know what you mean though. I'm so used to having a DVR that when ever I hear something on my scanner or on the broadcast radio I'm thinking where's my clicker!......:)

oligranate

this is a good idea but it requires me to re-record every time the tape ends and a tape can be re-recorded on only so many times before it goes bad. I like your idea in a sense that if there is a gadget that allows input signal to flow through it continuously but has i.e. 2 hours rewindable playback memory. You can attach such gadget not only to a scanner but a regular AM/FM radio and replay that newscast you missed. Maybe even put an SD slot in it so if you got a really juicy recording you can save it by removing the SD card and replacing it with a new fresh one. I wonder why nobody thought of such gadget before, or there is one out there and I don't know about it.

JnglMassiv

I'm not aware of a consumer-grade device that can accomplish this.

I think future generations of scanners will have recorded audio stored to removable media.
A few megs of audio could be buffered and saved to disk when desired for an instant-replay-like experience. Here's my prediction from an earlier post discussing this topic Here.
earlier thread said:
I know of no scanners that use removable media in this manner.

My prediction/hope:

Scanners do away with rs232 and get with USB. I cannot support a SD or MicroSD slot, though. Needs to be a standard USB connector, too. Please, please don't make me go searching all over hither and yon for your wacky, hard-to-find connector (teeth gritting at thought of bc245xlt port connector).

Scanner memory will get large enough to store the entire RR.com database several times over. This is on the order of megabytes for data, freqs, alphatags, talkgroups, everything. Scanner database updates will be seamless and integrated and not unlike syncronization of a pda, iPod or smartphone. Updates could be alternatively loaded to USB drives and updates automatically imported.

Removable media will be primarily for recorded audio. A configurable buffer will keep some duration of received audio in memory for quick replay and review. You hear something cool happening on the radio, hit a button and the previous 2 minutes of traffic is captured along with future tx's. A very small solidstate drive (say, 2Gigs) could store hours of action.

Coming to a scanner near you!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Instant Recall Recorder (hope that's not a trademark) is something you see on public safety consoles...so the dispatcher can "roll back" the audio a few seconds if they missed something.

I don't think I've see subscriber equipment with it...but I can sure agree it would be a nice feature to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.