What NOAA station am I hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

I'm getting a NOAA station on 162.5500 MHz mentioning the Rappahannock River, Petersburg, the Potomac River, and the Shenandoah River. Anyone know the callsign and location of this station? Thanks.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
Rappahannock River is in VA so I looked at VA NOAA stations and came across

WXL92 Lynchburg Madison Heights 162.55 1000 watts
KHB36 Manassas Independent Hill 162.55 1000 watts

hope this helps

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you listen for about 3-5 minutes, you will hear the station give its callsign.

freqhopping

I take that back, you may be hearing the Lynchburg site. On the KHB site most of what I hear is based around Washington, D.C., north to Philly and south to Charlottesville. However, they also give reports on the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers.

Last edited:

trainman111

I second on it being Lynchburg. I live in Chesterfield County VA and I can usually hear this station. When I listen it mention the same areas as you heard. Petersburg, the Appomatox and Rappahanock Rivers. If you hear it again, listen for the call sign.

Joseph11

Thanks, guys. I was waiting for the callsign, but it faded out and I started getting the Lewes, DE station.

gcgrotz

That's interesting because the Lynchburg station is on a water tank in Madison Heights, not on a mountain or anything. It was barely audible in Nelson County 25 miles away.

I love it when you hear 3 or 4 stations on the same channel. Being on the coast up in NJ its not too unususal but thats pretty far inland for the usual ducting propogation. Good catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.