• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What parameters do I need to listen to P25 on a F70DT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
Noobie to commercial rigs...... Now that I have my computer talking to the F70DT, I've loaded a bunch of the local FM repeaters into the F70DT and they work fine, even let me tag them as Wide Band. Now, I want to load some P25 frequencies for Rx only. It's a statewide trunked system. There's only two sites in the local area using a few CC's and one voice channel. I also have an ICOM R2500 with the P25 module. I've used the R2500 to listen to this trunked system with no problems, works almost as well as my HP-1 and 996T. So far, I haven't heard a peep from the F70DT, except data noise & a CW ID The only paramaters I set when I programmed it were: frequency, Tx inhibit, SQL Tight On, Channel type: Digital. There's lots of stuff listed that I don't have a clue as to what it is: C Tone Rx Tx, Compander, Auto Reset, 2 Tone, among others. Are there other parameters that need to be loaded to make P25 Rx functional?

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? The system I trying to Rx is NYS Electric & Gas.

Thanks for your time,
Bob
N2OAM

Last edited:

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! Tried it but no luck. Have voice channels & CC's in one zone, have channel type set to digital, Rx NAC =7FE and squelch type = NAC. CC's are almost continuous data streams, voice channels are data when I'm hearing voices on the same frequency, as shown on the screen of my 996T. One thing that has me puzzled is when I click on clone > Information it opens clone Information. shows the S/N, activation code, then under application it says ANALOG....?? Under model it says LMR P25 conventional, IC-F70 Series, 10 Key Front, BIIS not Capable, MDC Capable. Revision 2.5. Sum $18FE. Nothing under Comment or Option.

I bought this HT NOS & had no idea programming was going to be this involved. After I programmed in some local repeaters, I was thinking, ok, this is easy.......NOT. If you have any other suggestions, just let me know. Thanks for your time!

Best,
Bob
N2oam

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Try setting the RX NAC to 7FE.

That should be F7E.
F7E is like the P25 equivalent of carrier squelch.
NAC is the digital equivalent if CTCSS/PL tone.

edit: Another thing I thought of...since you are a ham, try setting a 2m simplex frequency for digital TX and listen another radio to make sure what you transmit is coming out digital. If it is, then you know you have a digital capable radio.

Last edited:

Cognomen

Thanks for the correction! Fingers typing faster than brain works. lol

A DT radio "should" be P25 capable. You can easily determine if you have a P25 radio; hold down P0 and P3 and switch the radio on. You will see your firmware revision, cloning note if entered, and finally "P25 REV x.x" with your P25 firmware revision.

Last edited:

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Tried what you suggested & guess what.............Nothing about P25, REV x.x. Isn't that interesting? Accordinng to the ICOM web site, the F70DT is P25 right out of the box. Nothing extra needed. I talked to the seller & emailed him lots of programming parameters & several screen shots. Waiting for his reply.

This may be the first time I get my moneys worth from Paypal. Will keep you posted on how things turn out. Thanks to all who helped!

Best,
Bob
N2OAM

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
First you'd better ensure that the P25 option module is ACTUALLY installed in the radio.

And that the correct firmware to run it is in the radio, too.

Use the radio information button in the programming software to see if the board is installed and what firmware revisions are in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.