What portable to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Due to my changing interests and current occupation, I no longer want to listen to police, fire and ems on my scanner in my truck. I have a BC 796D and don't need all 1000 channels. I need about a 10th of that. I want to get a portable scanner to use in my truck AND out of my truck for railroads. I tried to do some research but my head was spinning. What I am looking for is a scanner that is PC prgrammable, 150-200 channels, and has a dispaly that can due alpha tags like the 769D. To that end, do I need to only be looking for a digital model or can I find that in an analog. I will probably be selling the 769D to pay for the new one so if digital is the way I need to go then thats ok. There have been discusion on weather or not the Railroads will even go digital so if I don't need it then I will save some money. Thanks for your help. Kevin

Eng74

Well it is more than 100-200 channels but I would look at the Uniden 346XT or the GRE PSR-310. I am not sure how they do on railroads might want to look at their specs.

N8IAA

I want to get a portable scanner to use in my truck AND out of my truck for railroads. I tried to do some research but my head was spinning. What I am looking for is a scanner that is PC prgrammable, 150-200 channels, and has a dispaly that can due alpha tags like the 769D. To that end, do I need to only be looking for a digital model or can I find that in an analog. There have been discusion on weather or not the Railroads will even go digital so if I don't need it then I will save some money. Thanks for your help. Kevin

Kevin, I understand your dilema:) If you've read anything on the railroad forum, it is obvious that the move to digital will be NEXEDGE, and not in the near future. So, unless there is a digital scanner that comes out in the very near future that decodes that digital format, you won't need to get a digital scanner. In my immediate area, the railroads, CSX and NS, are still analog. These are the road channels and dispatch. If, and when, they move to the new channel plans that are at 7.5KHz spacing between frequencies, any new analog scanner will be able to monitor the trains. I am going to suggest a ham radio handheld that just came out on the market. It is the Kenwood TH-K20. It does do the narrow band receive in 7.5KHz steps. It has 200 channels, but only allows for 100 to have alphatags. It is pc programmable. I will be picking up this ht or its mobile brother in the very near future for monitoring the railroads.
HTH,
Larry

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Larry, Thanks for that info. I have been trying to keep up with the railroad thread and that in itself left me confused. Most of the people there are going with actual radios. I may end up in the same boxcar. Sounds like the best way to go about it. My only concern is the transmit part of the radio. Is there a way to lock out that function? I would hate to see something happen to a crew because a fan like you or I accidently hit the transmit button at the wrong time.

I just did a search for that radio and can'tfind it. I found a TH-K20A but that only in th e144 range.

Kevin

Last edited:

js_in_ky

Did either of you ever purchase the TH-K20A? If so how do you like it? Does it receive digital narrowband on the railroad frequencies?
John

Status
Not open for further replies.