What practical data comes from a TAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

I am not new to scanners but I am new to this dicriminator tap thing. I have an old 895XLT sitting in the closet. I do have training in electrical assemby. If I spend some time to learn how to tap this thing, can I ask what useful information (in laymens terms) can I get from installing a tap? Can someone provide a screen shot of some pretty cool data that may convince me to install a tap.

I have searched the info I am requesting but it given to me in a lot of jargon I am not familiar with.

Chris0381

Thanks.

It appears as simply more specific data for whats going on with the frequency at a particular time and may be fun on occasion but Im not going to constantly use the computer and scanner at the same time. Ide like what I saw and would like to give it a try. Does anyone have any pictures of how to tap a 895 xlt (besides the location of the tap which I already have) and is it as simple as running a cloner line from the tap to the soundboard of my computer.

I am looking to see how the capacitor, resistor, and ground wires are run.

jellotor

Check out mods.dk...there's a list of radios and scanners there that can be tapped. The 895 is one of the easier radios to tap and I believe there's a picture of the tap point on that site. Simply run a line from the tap point to an audio connector of your choice mounted on the scanner's case, then a suitable cable from that connector to your soundcard input or slicer.

morfis

jellotor said:
Check out mods.dk...there's a list of radios and scanners there that can be tapped. The 895 is one of the easier radios to tap and I believe there's a picture of the tap point on that site. Simply run a line from the tap point to an audio connector of your choice mounted on the scanner's case, then a suitable cable from that connector to your soundcard input or slicer.

A good site for general "discriminator" info is:
http://www.discriminator.nl/index-en.html

The author makes and seels quality interfaces as well.

(no, I'm not connected with him or his site in any way).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We actually have a wiki page devoted to the subject of data slicers - if you need one, that is - right here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Data_Slicers

At the bottom we've got a few US Based distributors, including DataSlicers.com. I've got one of his, and they work well.

I mentioned that you might not need a slicer. UniTrunker doesn't use one, for example. It depends on what software you will use. All software that reads a high speed data channel will need the tap - Greg Knox's pic and description are a good start for the 895.

73s Mike

Chris0381

Well I guess my main question is should I use resistor and capacitor?

If so how are they connected ?

And were is a good ground connection for the other side of the phone jack.

dbrown2

Chris,

The resistor is connected to the board and the capcitor is connected to the resistor with a wire from the other side of the capcitor to the lead of the phone jack. I grounded mine to a screw on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.