What Programing Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
What is the best and easiest software to use with the Radioshack Pro-106 scanner. I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.

The following are the most recommended for the Pro-106:

1. WIN500 (My personal favorite)
  2. PSREdit500
  3. ARC Software by Butel
There is a 30-day free trial period with all of the software so you can select the one that best suits your needs.

I know that several have used WIN500 in conjunction with their Vista 64 bit machines. You should run a search for Vista 64 bit in this Software Forum because there have been many questions about using it and it should give you answers to questions you may not have had yet.

EDIT TO ADD: You should read this thread. It talks about the very thing you are asking.

Last edited:

Hiram01

Read the "V-scanner programmed data" manual that came with your scanner. (The smaller of the two manuals.)

On page(s) 40 & 41 you will see all the agencies that are on the "Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) System". (Including Wayne County.)

You don't need to use other programming programs as your PRO-106 has over 36,000 channels already included in it.

Simply transfer those Michigan groups into your scanner memory (page 7 of that same manual) and you can have all you want.

All that data comes from right here, Radio Reference Database.

Have fun, the PRO-106 is a fantastic experience!

mikey60

Read the "V-scanner programmed data" manual that came with your scanner. (The smaller of the two manuals.)

On page(s) 40 & 41 you will see all the agencies that are on the "Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) System". (Including Wayne County.)

You don't need to use other programming programs as your PRO-106 has over 36,000 channels already included in it.

Simply transfer those Michigan groups into your scanner memory (page 7 of that same manual) and you can have all you want.

All that data comes from right here, Radio Reference Database.

Have fun, the PRO-106 is a fantastic experience!

I don't know about the PRO-106, but the PSR-500 did not have the MPSCS in the pre-programmed data, so you would need to either program the system in by hand, or use one of the software programs and the RR web service to load it into your scanner quickly and easily.

Mike

mikey60

He said:

"What is the best and easiest software to use with the --->Radioshack Pro-106<--- scanner."

And I answered your point about the V-Scanner pre-programmed data, which does not include the MPSCS if the data is close to the same of the PSR-500. (The PRO-106 and the PSR-500 are virtually identical as far as programming is concerned).

To answer the OP's question...

The "Easiests and best" software to program the PRO-106 is really a question that is answered by trying those software programs for yourself and making your own decision. They're all quality programs that do pretty much the same thing, but use slightly different methods to do so. They all provide free trial periods, so you have nothing to lose in trying them.

As the author of one of those programs, all I can ask is for people to give my program a try. If one of the others work better for you, then by all means buy that program.

Mike

Degries

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the trial Win500 software, unzipped and I was able to bring it up on my computer. I bought the USB cable from Radioshack and installed the driver. How do I connect the scanner to the computer after pluging in the cable. Do I have to put the scanner in some kind of program mode. I want to upload my freq from the scanner to the computer. I would like to be able to see what Radioshack has programed on my scanner.

mikey60

I downloaded the trial Win500 software, unzipped and I was able to bring it up on my computer. I bought the USB cable from Radioshack and installed the driver. How do I connect the scanner to the computer after pluging in the cable. Do I have to put the scanner in some kind of program mode. I want to upload my freq from the scanner to the computer. I would like to be able to see what Radioshack has programed on my scanner.

First, do not use the short 3" adapter cable that comes with the Radio Shack cable. It will not work with that adapter in place.

Next, it's suggested that you download and install the latest drivers for the USB cable. Win500 uses direct access to the USB cable, and the drivers included with the cable don't work in that mode. The new drivers can be downloaded from the FTDI web site at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20600.exe

Mike

Degries

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike for the link to the USB driver and the info on the cable. That cleared up the other problem that I was having. This digital scanner stuff is all new to me and looks like it is going to take some getting use too.

Status
Not open for further replies.