What R/S scanner is best for Cellular reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewinnfred

What Radio Shack models were best for cellular reception, back when they made them? Also,which ones were easy to 'convery' to receive those freq's?

califzeph

It is a violation of Federal law to modify a scanner to receive cell calls.

Most all of them are digital and encrypted now anyway, you wouldn't get anything.

Stick to listening to the cops and firefighters while we still can. :)

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I hate the standard answer someone always gives about it being illegal. Who cares, if someone wants to break the "law" and listen to a spectrum that has no activity here in 2006, let them. I can think of plenty of laws I see broken every day on my ride to work, which would impact peoples safety much more than the cell thing.

Anyway, I remember most of the RS base models you had to clip or remove a resistor/diode. They didn't hide it well, and others you could hold a key combination to load it with test frequencies, like the PRO 51. I had a PRO 2004 that would be filled with cell calls about 10 years ago. It was better than cable TV! Today, it is a waste, and I still laugh on E Bay how people try to sell scanners as being cell capable. Instead of rebanding, we should take back all the old cell band and give that to the police, since nobody uses it anymore.

SLWilson

Pro2026

davewinnfred said:
What Radio Shack models were best for cellular reception, back when they made them? Also,which ones were easy to 'convery' to receive those freq's?
I think it was the RS Model 2026 "Highway Patrolman" 100 Ch "early edition" scanners that used to do all that. RS figured out what people were doing by "clipping" that wire and changed the insides to where that wire "wasn't there" anymore....Steve/Gallia

dkostrey

RS figured out what people were doing by "clipping" that wire and changed the insides to where that wire "wasn't there" anymore....Steve/Gallia[/QUOTE said:
They had to change it if they wanted to sell it in the US. The FCC mandated that any receiver that was to be sold in the US couldn't be modified to receive cellular frequencies.

N

N_Jay

KC2GVX said:
. Instead of rebanding, we should take back all the old cell band and give that to the police, since nobody uses it anymore.

Where do people get this often repeated falsehood that the 800 MHz cellular band is not used much?:confused: :roll:

GTO_04

davewinnfred said:

The Cellular Police will be at your door shortly! You have the right to remain silent.......

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
cellular

the radio shack 2004 was able to pick up cellular years ago by clipping a diode inside but there's nothing i hear anymore.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
There were several radios that could pick up cell. The most popular were the PRO-2004, PRO-2005, PRO-2006 and PRO-43. A simple google search will turn up how to mode these radios.

intrepid97

I dont think ALL cell calls are dead,There many times when a cell phone will switch over to ANALOG ;)

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-51 & Pro-2026, both of which get the cell bands. But as said here before, there is little (very little) cell activity to be heard anymore.

N

N_Jay

intrepid97 said:
I dont think ALL cell calls are dead,There many times when a cell phone will switch over to ANALOG ;)

There are less and less phone out there that even do analog to switch to.

I do not think anyone but On-Star is still actively selling any analog capable equipment.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
N_Jay said:
Dead for FM but not dead for use by cellular.

Since we are talking about listening to cellular then like I already said, it is pretty much dead.

SCPD

QRT
Cellular Laws

Give me a break! Cell phone laws were only enacted to protect the law makers from being heard screwing the American people. Newt Gingrich made sure of that after being overheard saying certain things he shouldn't have been saying.

As someone here said, I see a lot more laws being broken that harm the American public besides cell phone listening.

N

N_Jay

Dubbin said:
Since we are talking about listening to cellular then like I already said, it is pretty much dead.
Yes, but not everyone understands the difference.

i.e.
KC2GVX said:
. . . . Instead of rebanding, we should take back all the old cell band and give that to the police, since nobody uses it anymore.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
N_Jay said:
Yes, but not everyone understands the difference.

Understands the difference? We are in a thread talking about cellular. I think everybody knows what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.