What radio support item do you think you'll NEVER upgrade? (Post a supporting picture)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I'll start it off...

There is one radio hobby support item I've never felt like I needed to upgrade. It's the "survivor" in the den and quite literally out dates everything else.... my old pair of Radio Shack "racing headphones". I've never had a set of cans that kept out so much ambient noise, and they sound good too. Now over the decades audio out jacks have migrated to the stereo (three conductor) type from the old analog (2 conductor type), but I slap on a stereo to mono adaptor and all is good.

iHFztyn.png

What item is in your Den and/or Ham Shack that you think you'll never update or get rid of?

Boombox

My favorite headphones wore out and were unrepairable.... A lightweight, comfortable set of Radio Shack, midgrade cheapies that had large enough diaphragms to have actual bass response but otherwise were excellent for DXing. I won't throw them away.... but they're beyond repair. The tiny wires, surface mount-like solder pads... repaired them once and it lasted a month.

I use a $25 set of Sonys now. They work OK.

Nothing else to upgrade, really. I use the same radios for HF and MW that I used 30 years ago. I have newer radios, some I use a lot, but I never have tossed the old standbys (DX-390, 398, 394, RF-B45). Can't really improve on something that's already adequate for the job.

TAC4

Since we are on a headphone theme. I would say my Rolland
RH-5 headphones I will never upgrade. They are outstanding
for shortwave listening. Lite weight you can wear them for hours.
Great base response and you can pick up faint signals down
in the noise floor and they are very affordable. 🎧

Rolland you can send me the check in the mail for plugging
your product. Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_20240630_090725_0_copy_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20240630_090725_0_copy_768x1024.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 13