What Receiver to Select for Application Using Discriminator Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I want to run PDW. I have a couple of scanners/radios laying around and I would like to use one that I can add a discriminator tap to.
My needs are:
Analog
Single frequency
VHF Hi in the 150-155 MHz range
CSQ

Spare receivers I have:
Radio Shack Realistic Pro-2005
Radio Shack Pro-83
Baofeng DM-5R (first generation)
Baofeng UV-5R

Which one do you think would be best for the application or should I use something else?

Thanks,
Rich

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that I also have one of these:

RTL-SDR Blog V3 R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO HF Bias Tee SMA Software Defined Radio with Dipole Antenna Kit

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
If you are going to just set it and forget it on a couple of frequencies, it hardly matters. Go with the one that is easiest to tap. If you are going to be entering new frequencies a lot, easy direct channel entry might be a factor. In my mind the Pro-2005 is a no brainer. Easy to tap, great receiver, easy data entry.

morfis

Alternatively....if you want to monitor multiple pager channels at the same time and they are within a couple of MHz of each other then the rtl device coupled with sdrsharp, multiple VFO plugin and virtual audio cable software would do the job .
Pro-2005 - good box to add a base audio output to for single freq pager use ...or indeed any other use for the unfiltered NFM output so worth doing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.