What rechargable batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I am sure this has been covered, but need opinions on rechargeable batteries for my 436HP. I have been using my energizer and radio shack rechargeable batteries, but not getting good results. Not sure if the batteries are just wearing out, or not powerful enough, or if scanner is just poor at energy management.

Like to have easy to use wall charger, don't mind paying for quality, and have reasonable expectations on batter life (at least 24 hours running before change).

I'd like to buy off amazon, so if you have a link to the exact batteries on that site a plus!

Thanks in advance!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
8-10 running hours is typical. I've never heard of anyone getting >24 hours reliably from any scanner.

Drumbum

I'm using enloop nimh and keep 2 sets, I charge them with a charger to make sure they are full, the radio only does a timed charge

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I am sure this has been covered, but need opinions on rechargeable batteries for my 436HP. I have been using my energizer and radio shack rechargeable batteries, but not getting good results. Not sure if the batteries are just wearing out, or not powerful enough, or if scanner is just poor at energy management.

Like to have easy to use wall charger, don't mind paying for quality, and have reasonable expectations on batter life (at least 24 hours running before change).

I'd like to buy off amazon, so if you have a link to the exact batteries on that site a plus!

Thanks in advance!

Here's about the best battery charger I've used:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C...id=1485188270&sr=8-2&keywords=powerex+charger

And the batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-8...85188335&sr=8-1&keywords=powerex+aa+batteries

You will never get 24 hours use out of the batteries at one time. I get about 8-10 hours with mine, but that's normally with volume at 0 and recording everything. Hope this helps.

WeBeCinYa

8-10 running hours is typical. I've never heard of anyone getting >24 hours reliably from any scanner.

Thanks for the info. Being that you work directly with these at Uniden, what do you recommend for batteries, charger?

WeBeCinYa

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
I get very good use out of EBL AA NiMH batteries. I've got a couple dozen that I keep in rotation between several scanenrs, including my Uniden BCD436HP that runs full time whenever I'm in my car. I use a MAHA MC-C9000 WizardOne charger-analyzer to charge all of my batteries.

I also have a few Panasonic eneloop pro AA's in the rotation, and those are very good, too.

Both brands stay very close to published capacity, with the eneloops running just a bit higher than what they are marked.

I still have the stock batteries that cam with the 436, and those are still operating OK after over two years. I periodically the refresh/analyze function of the MAHA charger to restore capacity.

drayd48

I use duracell rechargeable batteries and don't charge through my scanner. I use a battery charger and have to take the batteries out of the scanner and charge them through a battery charger. I have 2 (well really 6) sets of 4 batteries and just rotate them in and out as needed.

kc2kth

I'll second the recommendation on that charger / conditioner. I haven't used any of my other chargers since I bought that one a year or so ago. As for batteries I typically use the Eneloops now although I previously used the PowerEx batteries for a number of years. There is probably little difference. My Eneloops last longer than my PowerEx now, but my PowerEx batteries are several years older! Hardly a comparison.

I'll point out one last thing, I don't order these from Amazon myself. I've purchased through Thomas Distributing for a number of years. Pricing is similar and Thomas tends to throw in some plastic battery cases with each order. I'm becoming leery of Amazon lately with all of the accusations of fraudulent product being sold there by third party sellers. Just something to consider.

kc2kth

My Pro-43's easily exceed 24 hours when powered by Eneloops or other NiMH cells.

Older scanners that relied less on software and provided a smaller feature set can easily run for a full day or two between charges on today's rechargeable batteries. Newer scanners offer a lot more functionality (whether or not you use or need it) and require significantly faster hardware to do so, which in turn uses far more power leading to lower battery life. It's like comparing an iPhone to a StarTac.

N7VME

I have had really good results using AmazonBasics AA Ni-mh batteries. I use them in almost everything that takes batteries. They seem to hold a charge well when not in use and last as long as any rechargeable I have tried thus far. I haven't had to replace any of them yet, either.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
batteries

I use the black pro one's. They are the best that I have ever used and get about 10 hrs run time every day. I have 8 that I keep in rotation and never had a single problem with them.

Mike

wtp

what i would do

get the charger first. i also recommend the c-9000.
and then test the cells you have.
write down the capacity of each , you can test it with the charger, and then match them up.
i just tested my cells and they range from 2340 to 2283.
i just group them in 3's from top to bottom.
my radio takes 3 and i have 12 cells.
then i test them about once a month.
you might find that just one cell is bad.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This discussion is confusingly in two different threads. I believe the root cause resulting in this inquiry is that the OP is only charging 2 of the 3 batteries in the charger he has, thus getting a short run time and low initial voltage.

WeBeCinYa

This discussion is confusingly in two different threads. I believe the root cause resulting in this inquiry is that the OP is only charging 2 of the 3 batteries in the charger he has, thus getting a short run time and low initial voltage.

This is the issue, I didn't realize that my basic charger couldn't charge just 3, has to be 4. This thread was just to get recommendations on which batteries/charger work best.

I decided to buy eneloop pro and a smart charger to start fresh with my new 436.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.